1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Question - Code How do I change what layer an instance is on in GML?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by hdarren, Nov 10, 2016.

1. hdarren

hdarren Member

When I create an instance using "object = instance_create_layer()" how do I later change what layer that instance is on?

2. Baku

Baku Member

Change the instance's layer variable directly, or use layer_add_instance()

Code:
    object.layer = layer_get_id("LayerName");
    // or
    layer_add_instance(layer_get_id("LayerName"), object);

Read the manual, dude ;)

3. hdarren

hdarren Member

That is good.

So now I can create a script called instance_create(x,y,object) which creates a instance_create_layer(x,y,default_layer,object) then in the Create event of the object I set layer=layer.

This means my code is much tidier and if happen to change layer name or what layer object should be on I don't need to change a million bits of code. :)

4. rwkay

rwkay YoYo Games Staff YYG Staff

you could also just use instance_create_depth() as an object no longer has a depth variable so you cannot set the depth of the object and every instance inherits it as that was silly - you now create the instance at a set depth (a layer will be auto created for you at that depth)....

Personally I would just swap to instance_create_depth() if you are not using layers directly.

Russell

5. Could the same be done with the layers in the object editor and room editor for specific instances? Let's say I am making a isometric RPG, how would I go about isometric depth? Now that was just an example, for references to asking for help on assigning instances to individual instance layers. ;)