SOLVED How do I add Turkish characters(special characters)

A

AlphaBeta1

Hello there. I live in turkey. I am working on a project to understand GML. I learned that Turkish characters are not supported in fonts."İ,Ş,Ö,Ü,Ğ,Ç,ı,ş,ö,ü,ğ,".is there a way to add these characters? Thank you in advance.

chamaeleon

Hello there. I live in turkey. I am working on a project to understand GML. I learned that Turkish characters are not supported in fonts."İ,Ş,Ö,Ü,Ğ,Ç,ı,ş,ö,ü,ğ,".is there a way to add these characters? Thank you in advance.
Have you added a font resource using a font that supports the characters required and selected a range of characters that includes the ones you need, and added draw_set_font(the_font_resource) in the Draw event before any code drawing text?

A

AlphaBeta1

1591730048197.png
yes. here it is. (sorry for quality).

Have you added a font resource using a font that supports the characters required and selected a range of characters that includes the ones you need, and added draw_set_font(the_font_resource) in the Draw event before any code drawing text?
i justt tryingchnge str with turkish character but i get only ▯

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

I don't know if this is something you need, but GM's dialog functions are hard coded to have english only for buttons and I believe some other things as well depending on the target platform.

For button and other forms of localization in dialogs, if you ever need it: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/dialog-module-for-windows-macos-and-ubuntu.44311/

Supports full UTF-8 encoding on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Overrides the default functions. Async dialogs work slightly different so be sure to check out the example project.

A

AlphaBeta1

I don't know if this is something you need, but GM's dialog functions are hard coded to have english only for buttons and I believe some other things as well depending on the target platform.

For button and other forms of localization in dialogs, if you ever need it: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/dialog-module-for-windows-macos-and-ubuntu.44311/

Supports full UTF-8 encoding on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Overrides the default functions. Async dialogs work slightly different so be sure to check out the example project.
but in many projects, these characters were used. it was used even when translating for other games. There must be a way.I am Stuck

chamaeleon

but in many projects, these characters were used. it was used even when translating for other games. There must be a way.I am Stuck
I was able to use the Oswald font to produce those characters. I added a new font, selected Oswald, selected Add new range, pasted the quoted string you used in your first post to get a selection of characters to add, clicked Add Range, then the following in a Draw event
GML:
draw_set_font(fnt_test);
draw_text(x, y, "İ,Ş,Ö,Ü,Ğ,Ç,ı,ş,ö,ü,ğ");

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You didn't add the characters to the font, you just typed into the preview box. I can see that because your font's range still has only 2 rows, 32...255 and 9647.

Go back to the Font properties window, click the Add button (besides the "Add new range" label), then paste your "İ,Ş,Ö,Ü,Ğ,Ç,ı,ş,ö,ü,ğ" string into the text box from the subwindow that comes up (under the 4 buttons that read Normal/ASCII/Digits/Letters), then click Add Range. Your Turkish characters should start showing up between the 32...255 and the 9647 rows. Then try running again.

A

AlphaBeta1

You didn't add the characters to the font, you just typed into the preview box. I can see that because your font's range still has only 2 rows, 32...255 and 9647.

Go back to the Font properties window, click the Add button (besides the "Add new range" label), then paste your "İ,Ş,Ö,Ü,Ğ,Ç,ı,ş,ö,ü,ğ" string into the text box from the subwindow that comes up (under the 4 buttons that read Normal/ASCII/Digits/Letters), then click Add Range. Your Turkish characters should start showing up between the 32...255 and the 9647 rows. Then try running again.
Wow. Thank you. it works!

I was able to use the Oswald font to produce those characters. I added a new font, selected Oswald, selected Add new range, pasted the quoted string you used in your first post to get a selection of characters to add, clicked Add Range, then the following in a Draw event
GML:
draw_set_font(fnt_test);
draw_text(x, y, "İ,Ş,Ö,Ü,Ğ,Ç,ı,ş,ö,ü,ğ");
Yes it works now! Thank you soo much!