• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How can I optimize my HTML5 game for Google? (SEO)

J

JapaneseMeow

I realized today that my game is ranking on page #4 when someone Googles "Hiragana Game" - much higher than I expected. I feel that there's a really good opportunity to get up to page #1. Do you guys use any SEO methods with your HTML5 pages so that rather than loading as a stand-a-lone screen, you can add a H1 tag and maybe even some content that surrounds the game while it is held within an iframe? I'm not sure how to go about doing this, as I've only managed my SEO with regular HTML pages..

BTW I just realized that the meta tag description that shows up under the search results is this:

"GameMaker:HTML5 loading screen. Your browser doesn't support HTML5 canvas."

It looks like the Google crawler can't even fetch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest User

Okay, I never tried this before so don't judge my answer, make a special HTML file, let's call it "index.html" for now, add your META tags and description and use iFrame to include the HTML5 game, I guess you have to remove the old META tags from the original HTML5 game.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
I only bother to add a description tag, but the majority of my traffic (up to 1,000,000 players per month) does not originate from search engines.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The standard way is to export it once, grab the resulting index.html, stick it back in the project as an included file, then go into Global Game Settings - HTML5 tab and set the index.html to the included file. Then manage the SEO meta tags the same way you would on an ordinary HTML file.