• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How can I make sounds like Gameboy Advance?

T

TheGames

Hello,
I really want to create sounds like Gameboy Advance, but I dont know how. Can you please help me?
Thank you :)

D

Deleted member 467

From what I'm reading, it seems the GBA basically played 8bit samples that are premade. And of course, it had the original Gameboy sound hardware.
It seems that there are some soundfonts that exist out there for the GBA, so messing with those might be a place to start.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
For sound effects, there's a tool called BFXR (a better version of Dr.Petter's SFXR tool) that lets you generate square wave / noise sound effects using a list of parameters, and it notably has a "randomize" function where you can just mash the button until you get something interesting. Perfect for game jams and retro projects.

1593615340892.png

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
For music, I use MilkyTracker. There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get past it, you'll be able to make chiptunes as well as sampled tunes like .mod music, very similar to tunes used in Gameboy Advance, SNES, etc.