• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How Can I Make A CutScenes ? & Can I Make It In Another Software ?

A

Abdullah Al Hori

Hi :)

This is my first forums so be nice with me please
i Wanna Ask About How Can I Make A CutScenes & put it in the game ??

And can i make it in Another Software ?

R

rui.rosario

Well, it depends on how you want to do it really. I can't say much about it, because I'm sure a lot of people would do it in many different ways, but the way I like to do it is the following:

• Have all the assets of the cutscene as different elements in the project (sprites, objects, sounds, fonts, etc)
  • Create a timeline and neatly arrange everything so the cutscene plays out as you want it
Why do I prefer this approach? For one if you need to change something in the cutscene you don't need to potentially have to change it in another software, re-export it and re-import it. Also, it allows for mouse and keyboard controls while the cutscene is going on. This means you can pause it, skip it, move the camera while the cutscene is on or even do other nice stuff.

Now, if the cutscene is something more graphically heavy (imagine a intro cutscene for the game), then maybe you could render a video on a dedicated software (if you wanted you could use 3D modelling software to render a movie clip of an animation or a video editing software to edit a recorded play, etc). You then would need a way to playback that recorded video on GM:S (which currently I don't know how supported this is).

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
A cutscene is when you make something in the game that the player can't control. It's pretty easy to make them: just make the objects move on its own instead of reading input. If you create objects with the same sprites as the player objects, the player won't realize they're not the same. You can also use invisible marker objects that the cutscene objects can collide with to do things like making them jump.

R

rui.rosario

A cutscene is when you make something in the game that the player can't control
Personally I think there are two types of cutscenes:
  1. Critical / Cinematic cutscenes were everything must play out exactly as expected. So no reading input here, manipulating cameras, etc.
  2. Secondary cutscenes were the important is the content heard/read and to which the player can have some non-influential control, like rotating the camera to look at the surroundings or something like that.

GMWolf

aka fel666
If its a video, i would get one of the video playing assets on the market place.
however, videos are, IMO, the worst form of cutscenes as they take you away from the action.
instead, having the player loose control and have the characters move by their selves is much nicer (again, opinions may varry).
to do the latter, have you player object be controled through a user_control object, and have a cutscene control object.
when the player can play, create the player control object.
when its a cutscene, create the cutscene control object.

this may be a little advanced, but it is by far one of the better alternatives.

F

Fuzenrad

You can build a scene with your own game sprites, requires only a (relative) programmer work (creating new objects, only for this purpose), is very typical in classic games, as Pacman and Double Dragon (joining immediately in the game). You can also create scenes without motion with some text to present speeches or excerpts of the story (typically is an area on the screen for this), for example the Ninja Gaiden series (NES):

I particularly like the retro look, but you can apply this type of cutscene in many visual styles.

Tim

This is our approach in Boss 101 for cutscenes. This is just our solution and I'm not implying it's the best or anything.

Cinematics and Boss 101

For setup - We use a combination of Esotericā€™s Spine software for animation and GameMaker Studio. Obviously you could do all we do without Spine but for us it's a huge timesaver for setup and quick iteration.

First ā€“ well, to be frank, we plot out the script. Any old word processing program or whatever you like works at this stage. Just layout the idea and the plan out the art assets you will need. From there we move into Photoshop for basic pixel artwork. We also reuse sprite and assets from the game (huge timesaver). We can call in any asset previously made and have it run any animation we like. For the most part we are running talk idles and general motion idles during cinemas. Background objects have their own idles for things like blinking light panels or machinery.

Second ā€“ we bring it all into Spine for basic layout. Hereā€™s the magic of our system in place. We can position all the assets and place all the bones for things like dialog balloons (both the tails the main balloon can be positioned in Spine). The reason for this is to allow a nice level of precision. During gameplay the balloons are dynamically placed and thatā€™s fine for high action but here we want composition and control.

This image shows the setup in Spine of the various assets

Third ā€“ We take the rough script and convert it into ā€˜cinema-codeā€™ in Excel. This is just an easy-peasy way to get the code all straightened out and cleaned up. Itā€™s WAY easier to enter and edit in here than most text editors especially if you are dealing with code snippets as part of the input.

Fourth ā€“ The code is simply cut and paste from Excel and BAM! Cinematic script is all done!

Fifth ā€“ then we test things out. The assets are called out from a script and loaded up. Hereā€™s a snip from some game dialogs.

Asset loading

The above script tested

Some later dialog during this cinema.

Bringing it all together.

Kite Hill time! It all comes together when we get to watch our characters in action. Sometimes simple questions are the most profoundā€¦

Clearly just one way to look at things but it may work for you!

-Tim

W

WWAZman

I guess I'm behind the times, I thought video was unsupported.

A

Abdullah Al Hori

Thanks a Lot Everyone ! we've found an another solution ..

Thanks For your supporting <3