How can I learn GML?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by EasyPiezy, Jun 11, 2019.

1. EasyPiezy

EasyPiezy Member

Helloy i'm pretty new to programming and I want to start with it now. I already did the GMS 2 tutorials some weeks ago and then paused. Now I want to start again and I want to know what's the best approach to learning GML and how long it would take me to be OK with it.

2. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

3. zATARA_0

zATARA_0 Member

Every time you get comfused, google it.

4. Toque

Toque Member

There are unity courses as well.

A lot of time and practice. It’s slow at the start.

Make a small simple game. Ask for help if your really stuck but a lot of answers are just a google away. The manual has a lot of answers to.

5. samspade

samspade Member

6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

This part of your question is one that can't be answered, it differes from person to person.

Some people take to coding and code logic like a duck to water, others have to work really hard at it and practice over and over before things start to click and make sense.

As has been said, the best thing you can do is follow tutorials and try and understand what is going on with the code you are typing in (not copy pasting!) as you write it. You won't understand all of it, and will probably have to pause and rewatch or re-read parts of the tutorials a few times before you get it.

Once you can do that, then you can start adding your own things to the tutorials - the Space Rocks tutorial for example has had people add scores and multipliers, different types of asteroids and rocks that have different behaviours (speed, movement etc), add pickups that change the players speed or weapons, add a high score table etc etc.

Nobody is born with the ability to write code, it's something that everyone has to work on and some have to work harder than others, but don't be afraid to fail and make mistakes - compile errors and syntax errors are to be expected.

Trial and error is a legit learning technique and as well as helping you learn what to do and what works, it also helps you learn what what not to do and what doesn't work - which is just as important.

Be patient, try not to get too frustrated and if you feel like you are banging your head against a wall and can't grasp something - take a break away from coding for a while. Often this time away is when you will have a eureka moment.

Above all, have fun!