How can I improve this scene?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Achron, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Achron

Achron Member

Hey!
    Im making a dungeon crawler themed with some dark creepy non-demonic atmosphere, and in a certain level there is a change the player comes across this room. Its an entrance to an extra part of the dungeon called the Webbed Caverns. Basically its a spider cave, and therefor the theme is a lot of web, and well ... spiders x)

Anyways, its supposed to look like a whole (or crack) in the wall that leads to a spider-infested cave and therefor everything is webbed :p

But it's like something is missing, perhabs with the shading being to dark or something, because when I ask around people think its a portal. ^^'

Do you have any thoughts on how to improve this scene? Any ideas will be very appreciated! :D

Attached Files:

SnotWaffle Studios likes this.
  2. deem93

deem93 Member

Maybe making the hole darker and having web only on the ceiling/floor and not on the walls (so it does not look like a magical portal) would work better.

3. HeWhoShallNotBeNamed

HeWhoShallNotBeNamed Member

Maybe tone down the amount of webbing at the entrance, so that there is only a little webbing at the start of the cavern and more and more webbing as the player goes deeper inside. Either that, or place some webbing across the entrance that breaks apart when the player enters. Also, you could try placing some spiders near the entrance that skitter away/into the hole when the player gets close.

4. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Member

I think breaking up some of the webbing on the border would help reduce that portal look a bit, as well as having some dangling bits of web at the top (like you have in the corners).

5. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

The biggest thing that makes it look like a portal for me is that the floor raises into the hole. It looks like you want a shrinking cavern, but with "low detail" from the art style, the raising floor adds to the circular aspect that would sell it as a portal.

6. RandNR

RandNR Member

Add some more webs hanging from the top in various directions.

7. Toque

Toque Member

Add highlights on bottom on portal. Highlight path.

Think of it as a light path into the portal. Eye will naturally follow into the path/ portal.

Not just a defect or depression in the cave wall.