How can I get sounds for things like cars and sirens?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Zachary_Alan, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Zachary_Alan

Zachary_Alan Member

Hello, I'm working on a top down GTA 1/2 type game where you can steal cars and get into police chases and the like, but right now I'm using engine and siren sound effects from the GTA V game files.

I'd rather use/find my own sounds, but every royalty free siren sound on the internet sounds like garbage or is too simple to sound like a real police siren. Also where should I get car engine sounds? I can just record the sound of a car idling, but there will be background noise outside/ echo if I decide to do it in my garage.

I can use an 8-bit sound generator, that would fit well with the low pixel density sprite art style of the game, but I don't know how to make a car sound.

I also want to release a demo in the Work in Progress forum but I'm just stealing sounds from GTA V which looks lazy, and could cause trouble if I decide to sell or release the game for free(?).

2. K12gamer

K12gamer Member

vdweller and Bearman_18 like this.
  3. Zachary_Alan

Zachary_Alan Member

Thanks, I guess I was too retarded to find this website. All the other ones I tried were trash

4. sitebender

sitebender Member

Sound packs. There are people on Reddit that record and make these packs free for whatever reason.

5. Old School Ben

Old School Ben Member

6. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

7. AzureCube

AzureCube Member

For an 8-bit sound generator, SFXR works really well. Just keep pressing the random button until you find something a similar to what you want, then adjust it to get it just right.

woodsmoke likes this.
  8. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

If you've got a microphone, you could always record yourself trying to sound like the thing you want (e.g. say "WEE-OOH WEE-OOH"), then downsample to an 8-bit-friendly sample rate so it sounds less like human speech. It's a bit tricky to get right, though.