• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How Can I Get More People to Check my Game Demo Online?

G

Gabe the Dead Fish

I'm working on a game called Immortal that I hope to release on Steam by the end of this year for Early Access. I want to make the best game possible; however, I can hardly find anyone online to try out my demo on Itch, let alone give me feedback to improve my game. I already posted a thread in the Work-In-Progress forum with a link to the demo, but I didn't get much feedback.

Does anyone know any other effective ways to get my demo out online so people could check it out and give me feedback?

T

Timze

Look up
Marketing your game
game development marketing
and other related search terms in Youtube. There are a ton of lessons with many different approaches.

F

Famine

I'm working on a game called Immortal that I hope to release on Steam by the end of this year for Early Access. I want to make the best game possible; however, I can hardly find anyone online to try out my demo on Itch, let alone give me feedback to improve my game. I already posted a thread in the Work-In-Progress forum with a link to the demo, but I didn't get much feedback.

Does anyone know any other effective ways to get my demo out online so people could check it out and give me feedback?
Ever wonder why so many AAA developers don't push out a lot of original IP's? Ever wonder why Hollywood keeps remaking existing movies versus making new ones? A lot of that has to do with not facing similar issues you may be having, which is lack of interest for the unknown. If your game is not a hot existing brand (i.e.: Marvel) or you don't work for a hot existing brand (i.e.: EA), then generating interest is going to be extremely hard for you. This is because you are a scrappy unknown and no one cares.

The unfortunate reality is that anyone can make a game these days. There is a flood of unknown brands on the market just like you and potentially a flood of games just like yours (but, just assuming as I don't know your game). Therefore, if you want people to try your game, you're going to have to bust a move better than everyone else. Simply posting on a web forum that maybe gets you 25 unique views is just not going to cut it.

I would surely look towards popular review channels whether on YouTube or other sites. I would look into getting some decent Twitch.tv streamer to play the game one session. I would also look into doing a Kickstarter to not just raise money, but to kickstart your community around your game. Do whatever you can to generate buzz around the game even if it's still in early release. If it's a good game and people see it's a good game, they will follow you. If you do this and people still don't want to try the game, then let that tell you something about what you should do next.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I might also add that looking like you're made in MS Paint in 20 seconds isn't really gonna make anyone interested in playing your game...
upload_2018-5-21_15-10-46.png

People are shallow and will judge your game by screenshots first and foremost. Make sure that your game actually grabs their attention, or you won't get anyone to try your stuff.

Also, related: make the intro bit (tutorial level, title screen, etc) late in development when you're more comfortable with the engine, and put a lot of flashy stuff in it. Most players never finishes most of their games, and most reviewers just play a little bit that's enough to let them form their opinion. Thus, to be successful at retention you need to put the best stuff early in the game.

Advertising is a skill, and it sadly deserves as much effort as actual development.