Distribution How can I correctly set up the credits for my game?

jobjorgos

How can I correctly set up the credits for my game?

Most providers of the free sounds request a credit in exchange, but I wonder how I can describe the credit list the best.
Their sounds have an original name chosen by them, but in my game I have my own names for every song. Usually when wandering around in any zone you don't see any music name at all, you just hear the song, but I have a jukebox in 1 zone in the game where players can playback any song in game where they see names for every song.

So my main questions are:
-Is it allowed to change their original names to my own ones in the game?
-If you see the image below, how can people know what song is made by that creator if they just see a music name, but can't hear it? Is this list correct or should I add a function that people can click on the song to hear it?

I feel like you should use the original names when using other people's stuff, at least in the credits. You could probably use both names in the credits, which I agree could could get a bit unwieldy though.

Reactions: Yal

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
For sound effects
I just use the original name of the sound file the creator used

So for songs i would do the same

Because your giving credit to the song

If jonny wrote a song "forest blues"

And you credited it as "happy song" by jonny

People would look for happy song not forest blues

jobjorgos

For sound effects
I just use the original name of the sound file the creator used

So for songs i would do the same

Because your giving credit to the song

If jonny wrote a song "forest blues"

And you credited it as "happy song" by jonny

People would look for happy song not forest blues
Ah yes thats acctually true, best I keep the original names in the credit list then.

I feel like you should use the original names when using other people's stuff, at least in the credits. You could probably use both names in the credits, which I agree could could get a bit unwieldy though.
That is a pretty good idea, I gonna probly gonna do it like that then!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You're required to list songs original' names (if they're CC-BY licensed), so that other people that want to seek them out may find them.

If you have multiple songs by the same author, license and source, you are probably allowed to group them together to cut down on repeated boilerplate text ("Digital Flagellant, Isle of Doom, Night Forest by Stewe Lowther, provided from blahblahblah dot com") - if they've requested a specific copyright notice you can't, though, and of course you should check this with the license you're using (CCBY's conditions is "provide enough information that other people can find the thing if they want").