1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

How big can map sizes be

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Halph-Price, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Halph-Price

Halph-Price Member

What factor make a difference. If you use tileset I doubt it matters much, but is there a limit you should work in, or is 1000000x1000000 just a slight file size bigger? Can't find any references about this

2. Paskaler

Paskaler Member

I don't know rhe exact limit on room size. What I do know that limit is most likely very big and the most important factor are going to be the amount of objects active at any given time. A room of size 100x100 and a roon sized 100000x100000 are going to run at the same speed if there are the same amount of active objects.

3. icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42 TMC Founder GMC Elder

the larger the room, the more likely there will be floating point errors on the bottom right. not anything of significance unless the size is astronomical. That changes if you use Box2d Physics which I think there will be errors quite early like in the 32000 range

The size of the room does not affect the file size aside the fact you need more content to fill a room that size...

4. Halph-Price

Halph-Price Member

I forgot about this thread, googled it, found my own thead. This answers my question PERFECTLY. I thank you so much.

rIKmAN and Bayesian like this.