Hot Air Balloon prototype

woodsmoke

This is a small experiment where I will only be using CC0 art from opengameart.org.
It's a hot air balloon game where you dodge mountain tops, and use winds to go faster.
Next I think I'll add shooty mechanics. Any other ideas?
Edit: Going to be a flying ice cream man!
You make ice cream from the snow peaks and drop it to the people below.

Download (6MB)

[ SPACE ] - balloon goes up
[ SHIFT ] - drop ice cream
[ F ] - switch full screen (at title screen)
[ Esc ] - end game

Last edited:

woodsmoke

Harvest ice from the mountains with your basket.
Then drop ice-cream on the houses.
Rack up your highscore with the score multiplyer for accuracy.
Wind sound added.

Finished! (download above)
Added special effects, sound effects, music, trees, instructions, title screen. Really juiced it up.
When you hit the mountain the air balloon flies around deflating making inappropriate sounds.
Enjoy! Let me know if you encounter any bugs, or things that bug you.

It's amazing how fast I got this game made, without the art creation holding me back. Well searching for the resources was work too though. I made this using CC0 art from opengameart.org and CC0 sound from freesound.org.

Now back to my actual current project Botanical Box.

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This is pretty good. It has promise as a casual game, and it should work fine as an HTML5 export. So you might consider that.

The gameplay is very simple, but it has the classic elements of risk-reward. Players must harvest snow from the mountaintops in order to score by dropping ice creme). But getting too close and crashing into the peaks will lose the game. And the winds add another element to that challenge.

The controls are workable, but I'd recommend different key choices. Hitting SHIFT too often can trigger the Windows OS to ask if you want to change keyboard settings. So I'd recommend more conventional choices like X or Z.

The art is OK for a casual game. You added a neat inflation effect with the balloon sprite. And the clouds and winds are OK. Sound effects are good too -- especially that flatulence sound when you crash. That made me chuckle. (Every guy has a 6-year old kid inside him.)

Overall, this is a good start. Nothing really jumps out as inspiring here -- but it's a fairly solid game. So nice job so far. It's worth continuing and refining this.

woodsmoke

Added sceenshake when mining for ice cream and death sequence. Always amazing what a little screenshake does to the feel of a game.
Cleaned the title screen up a bit.

Last edited: