• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Horrible lag when running GameMaker 8 and below made games

I

IGuessIHadTo

Ok, so whenever i run a game made with the "legacy" 7, 8 and 8.1 versions of GameMaker (whether it be me testing a gmk or just running an executable), the games suffer from heavy framerate drop and run very slowly, this started happening quite a few months back and i have tried everything to fix it and yet no dice. Help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

What specs are you running out of curiosity. I still use gm 8.1 a fair bit because of nostalgia haha. I know windows 8 and up has issues eith the inbuilt sound system.... but i have never really had the symptoms your talking about. Do you have another machine to test on?

TheouAegis

Ok, so whenever i run a game made with the "legacy" 7, 8 and 8.1 versions of GameMaker (whether it be me testing a gmk or just running an executable), the games suffer from heavy framerate drop and run very slowly, this started happening quite a few months back and i have tried everything to fix it and yet no dice. Help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
Make sure you have Synchronize to Avoid Tearing disabled in the Global Game Settings. I had a couple projects that on some of my computers this setting would kill the frame-rate as soon as I introduced any surfaces - possibly as soon as I had more than one view. I mean, vsync was nice sometimes, but some hardware configurations just couldn't handle it. (Also check your video driver settings to make sure you didn't tweak something there.)

V

vorgon

Yeah, I noticed that when booting up GM8 for the first time in a while yesterday.
In my case it seemed to be related to USB devices, and maybe extra monitors, as when I unplugged my tablet monitor (both HDMI and USB) and my USB keyboard things went back to normal.
Though, when plugging the monitor back in (video only, no USB) it was still able to run normally.
Likewise, my USB PS2 controller adapter didn't seem to cause any lag, nor does my USB mouse.

edit: setting Compatibility Mode to XP seems to reduce, but not completely eliminate, the lag. With that on I only have to unplug the USB cable from my Tablet monitor to get things running smoothly again.

Last edited by a moderator: