1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. NOTICE: We will be applying a Xenforo update on Tuesday 25th of February. This means that from approximately 10:00 to 14:00 BST the forums will be offline (or possibly longer). Sorry for the inconvenience! Official Announcement here.

Hornet Virus - 3D helicopter shooter!

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by hijong park, Jan 19, 2020.

1. hijong park

hijong park Member

Hornet Virus is a sequel of my previous game 'Steel Alcimus', and my first 3D game project.

It's an arcade game about flying an attack helicopter to blow up the enemies in 3D atmosphere.

The gameplay is inspired by The niche 3D shooter called Zarch from acorn archimedes,(or Virus in other platforms) as well as many other arcade helicopter games including infamous strike series, seek and destroy, and zeewolf which is also a Zarch-inspired game.

Having no experiences about 3D at all, it was a big challenge to make the 3D space from scratch. But fortunately I have managed to make the basic prototype of it.

Currently, I made basic controls of the player's helicopter and 3 different types of enemies.(Land, air, and sea)

2. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

It looks great, and I congratulate you for pulling this off while being new to the dimension, but I could never play it. Despite working exclusively in 3D, being lost in 3D space is ironically a huge fear for me, for whatever reason, and those short draw distances had me nervous.

3. frd

frd Member

Looks great!

4. Japster

Japster Member

I like it! - Seems REALLY fast, which is obviously great, and intentional, but I'm a bit older now, and I think that this game at about half the speed would be ideal for me! :D

Great stuff though, and I'm loving the Virus, Cyclone (remember that on the Speccy?) Desert Strike, and Swiv 3D vibes I'm getting from it! :D

Talking of Cyclone - I used to love that collecting mechanic in the game! - it might add to the playability if, as per that old classic (and desert strike), etc, you could maybe have to collect or winch ammo, rescuees, etc too! :) Maybe even have a hover mechanism or a way of locking / locking your height, with slower moving etc whilst in that mode?

Just ideas to throw into the mix! :D

Oh, and one last thing! - some games with a closer view, like this, 'ghost' the stuff coming in - i.e. draw half as bright / dithered with black, 1/3 as bright etc, just outside the area that you're actively rendering (ie. perhaps a couple of blocks further out) - this can greatly remove the appearance of things quickly popping up and disappearing as they enter/exit the view (a good example is at 18-19 seconds in), but I'm guessing this may impact performance, so you're probably aware of it already... ;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  5. Toque

Toque Member

Yeah that looks cool.

6. hijong park

hijong park Member

It's really fast just because I didn't balance anything. The final game will be much slower, It's frustrating to aim something in 3D when it's too fast.

The fog sounds like a good idea, I'll see if it's doable without affecting the performance too much.

The control works like this - in normal flight mode, the helicopter keep hovering in middle height. Moving the pitch down to move forward will slightly decrease the flying height.

By extracting landing gear, the helicopter starts to keep descending to land.

If you press the throttle button the helicopter increases rotor power to fly higher and move faster.

Flying high increases the targeting radius which is useful in combat, but it will drain the fuel much faster and you can be easily spotted by the enemies.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Japster likes this.
  7. hijong park

hijong park Member

The levels in this game have wrap-around feature, you don't have to worry about getting lost. There will be a radar as well.

The draw distance must be limited because of wrap-around feature, but I'll increase it a bit more.

Japster likes this.
  8. hijong park

hijong park Member

Today's progression of Hornet Virus:

- Added UI

- Added some soundeffects.

- Some graphic improvements.

- Added various weapons including machine gun, rocket, missile, bomb, torpedo, and some special ones like Doomsday bomb, Fuel pod, and radar jammer.

- Added camera rotation.

- Added Two playable helicopters.

[​IMG]

Blue Hornet

Blue hornet is an armed scout helicopter. By extracting landing gear, The maneuverability increases a lot and it can automically hover which is useful for comfortable flight.

with its great rotor power It can easily reach the highest height and perform dive attack, which is especially useful for using rockets at ground enemies.

However it has weaker armor with worse fuel efficiency.

[​IMG]

Steel Alcimus

Steel Alcimus is an attack helicopter has great armor with great fuel efficiency. not only that, it can carry one extra weapon for not having the extracting landing gear.
    However, it is a lot slower than Blue Hornet and you must keep pressing throttle button to fly - or It will go down and crash. also It can only carry 2 hostages at once.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    frd likes this.
  9. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

I really like this game stylistically, well done!

10. hijong park

hijong park Member

- Added Platinum Sabulosa. Platinum Sabulosa is a transport helicopter that has 2 door gunners and can carry 10 hostages at once.

- Added various enemies including infantries, mobile SAM, Sub marine, and Jets.

- Added Enemy helipads and airfields which spawn enemy aircrafts.

- I'm Currently Working on instant action mode before the campaign. Instant action is a quick arcade mode, where you complete your randomly generated missions.

- Some more optimization works.