1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Alpha Homestead [Windows|Linux|Steam]

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Lukan, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

Hello again, Homesteadians!
    In my small bits of free time I have been adding small features to the game.
    Not a lot of stuff, just some small things I feel help the game's feel overall.
    The Story stuff takes longer to add, and I don't have the free time to sit down and work on it for that long very often, hence the long gaps between any real updates.
    I do have some free time tomorrow to try and power through some of that, but tonight I just wanted to share a small thing I'm testing:
    [​IMG]
    The Water Meter.
    As I fix a few bugs related to mining and tool forging, I've found another way to make them more worth while!
    Now as you upgrade the Watering Can, it will hold more and more water in addition to the watering area getting bigger[which is currently glitched...]
    I'm fixing a lot of bugs tonight and hope to work on story tomorrow.

I'm trying to keep you guys more in the loop with what I'm doing, because I know I've fallen silent pretty hard core in the past.

Thanks for reading this rambling mess!
    ~Lukan

sitebender and CMAllen like this.
  2. WarpDogsVG

WarpDogsVG Member

I'd like to play your latest demo, but I'm not quite sure which one that is on your download page. There's a lot of options. Am I missing something obvious?

3. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

@WarpDogsVG I do apologise for any confusion!
    I have been forgetting to update across all platforms to make finding the proper version easier.

The current latest version is: https://lukan.dev/downloads/Homestead-190726-0.zip
    And this version has an update checker that automatically finds the latest version on my site.

I'm making an effort to make sure I update across Itch.io and GameJolt as well as my site in the future.

4. Bearman_18

Bearman_18 Member

I've been seeing this around, but I never actually played it. So I'm going to give it a try! Haven't played a farming sim since HM: Magical Melody, so this should be fun!

5. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

Hey Homesteadians!
    Sorry for my lapse in updates... again...
    I just haven't had time to do any work on the game. Real life keeps getting in the way.
    I'm working on polishing some core feature stuff right now and then I am going to do a lot of testing to make sure the next update is as bug free as possible.

Sorry again, and thanks for staying for this train wreck of a devlog! <3

6. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

Aloha Homesteadians!
    I really am very sorry about the lack of... well anything honestly.
    I have recently been working overnights at work, which means my prime development time is now spent entirely away from my computer.
    I have no progress to report, and I do apologise.

7. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

So, my long hiatus should be over now. I had a lot going on with work and life so Homestead had to take a bit of a break.
    I have more free time currently, but may be moving soon so I'm not sure how long that'll last.

Today I've pushed an update to fix some of the long standing issues with gamepads not being recognised in certain areas of the game.
    I have not fixed all of the issues, but am currently working around the internals to update them to use some newer scripts I've devised.
    I'm hoping this new set of scripts will eliminate such issues in the future.

I am also aware of a bug in which the Newsfeed is showing the wrong icon for URLs unless the post is selected.
    I'm looking for the cause, but I can't find what's causing it.

Here's a direct download from my website: https://lukan.dev/downloads/Homestead-191006-1.zip
    The game's auto updater can also fetch this link for you if you have it enabled.

Story stuff has been put on the back burner because of the amount of bugs I've been discovering.
    I want to fix what I can before adding more to the pot.

Thanks for understanding and sticking with me this far, the game's 5 year anniversary is coming up, so keep an eye out in the post office for some fun gifts next weekend!

HayManMarc likes this.
  8. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

Oh, hello there Homesteadians!
    I have a wee update here and I need as much feedback as possible.
    I rewrote some very old code that I still relied on in the engine.
    This was the bulk of the code that handles saving and loading.

It was 5 year old code writing those save files, and I though I could make it work a little nicer, so I did.
    The game now saves and load game files asynchronously, meaning there's no longer stutter/lag when these operations are carried out.
    Apart from the stutter being removed, it also makes the game easier for porting to other systems that usually require files be handled in such a fashion.

I still can't find the bug making the Newsfeed use the wrong icons, but I wanted y'all to be able to use this as soon as possible for feedback.
    The new system uses the same exact files, so your saves are safe.
    Report any bugs you may find here with as much info as possible.
    Thanks as always! <3

DOWNLOAD: https://lukan.dev/downloads/Homestead-191011-0.zip

9. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

Hello Homesteadians!
    No update today, but I'm working on the game a fair bit today and tomorrow.
    Fixing bugs and trying to finish some stuff that's been on the back burner for a while.

As some of you may know, at the beginning of the year I started the process of putting Homestead on Steam.
    While the game isn't at the point I wanted yet, it is close, and my date I set for myself passed.
    The game has been officially submitted and is under review by the Valve overlords.
    I have no idea if it will get approved, but it is set for Early Access as the game is probably going to be in development for a long time.

I know I keep promising weekly or monthly updates, but I've decided not to make any promises about the game going forward.
    I've spent 5 years working on this in my free time, and will continue to do so going forward, but I'm starting to feel trapped by not working on other things and expanding m work.
    So by no means is the game stopping development, the updates will be as irregular as ever, I just don't want y'all to expect them weekly anymore and be disappointed when I forget.

Sorry, and thank you for reading <3

HayManMarc likes this.