• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Hobbyist VS Professional, Indie

Fern

I would like to hear what you thing separates the two. Not comparing who is better/worst but instead pointing out why a person is labeled as either.

From my experience, Hobbyists tend to be more interested in optimizing and how many explosion they can get onto the screen. The cool stuff that nobody but developers appreciate.

Professionals on the other hand often just want to plow through a project by any means necessary and maintain a playable framerate. It isn't so much about the tiny details as it is the scope of the project.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
There is no clear line between a hobbyist and a pro... although you could change it to Hobbyist > Indie > Pro... but even then...

From my experience, Hobbyists tend to be more interested in optimizing and how many explosion they can get onto the screen. The cool stuff that nobody but developers appreciate.
By this definition Vlambeer are hobbyists?!?!?! Many hobbyists only do it to see if they can make a quick buck and churn out dozens of games a year, while many pros spend years just making sure that the details and ein-jokes and easter eggs are all in there... I think your definitions of "hobbyist" and "pro" are just way to narrow and stereotyped. I mean, there is obviously a progression and a difference from one to the other, but not the way you define it.

Fern

There is no clear line between a hobbyist and a pro... although you could change it to Hobbyist > Indie > Pro... but even then...
By this definition Vlambeer are hobbyists?!?!?! Many hobbyists only do it to see if they can make a quick buck and churn out dozens of games a year, while many pros spend years just making sure that the details and ein-jokes and easter eggs are all in there... I think your definitions of "hobbyist" and "pro" are just way to narrow and stereotyped. I mean, there is obviously a progression and a difference from one to the other, but not the way you define it.
Well the main reason I'm making this post is that there really isn't a clear line. I did my best to define the two sides but I'd like to see if someone else has a more clean cut difference or two they can point out. Vlambeer are professional-hobbyists I think. xD

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
The two aren't really as oxymoronic as you might think. The opposite of "Professional" is "Amateur" and while they carry connotations (Which wholely just sorta come down to who you are, no right or wrong there.) the "definition" (as far as I know, could be mistaken) is that being a "Pro" simply means you make money.

But definitions are overrated.

I think I could have justified calling myself a "Pro Indie" when I made AP (pls buy thx) but it would have been weird since for some of that time I was working at Ubisoft as a professional not-indie and for the rest of that time I guess I was a professional youtuber/content creator?

Who knows.

in terms of design patterns it sounds more like you're comparing attitudes towards creative works, which it would be super reductive to label so simply. People can be pragmatic about their work as a "Product" while it's still a personal work of love.

Personal 'thumb would be to use whatever words you like to describe yourself and describe others by the words they want you to use.

HayManMarc

Well, to be literal, a pro (professional) is defined as one who earns money (compensation) through the use of their skills.

I consider myself a hobbyist because I've never been able to cross that threshold. I don't think design or style has anything to do with it.

G

Gedor Games

Well I think the names hobbyist and proffesional more has to do with if you are making games as a hobby or if it is your job. I have never thought of it as the methods of how you make games but I would probably read into the name that a proffesional indie is one who has a lot of experience with game making, has made several successful games and earns enough money that they can make a living of it. A hobbyist indie is more someone that likes to make games on their spare time.
Although I would more use the expressions on how good someone is at making games with proffesional being better than hobbyist. I am making games full time but I would still call myself a hobbyist since I am still working on my first game.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Well, to be literal, a pro (professional) is defined as one who earns money (compensation) through the use of their skills.

I consider myself a hobbyist because I've never been able to cross that threshold.
But even if you did (make some money), would you call yourself a professional? I suspect not. Not unless you gave up your regular job.

Fern

But even if you did (make some money), would you call yourself a professional? I suspect not. Not unless you gave up your regular job.
But on that note, what if you make some money but not enough to live on it? Are you professional if you can't afford to go full-time? Does it matter how much money you make or the quality of the products you release?