Hm... Adding Japanesse fonts

Yellowhite

Hoi guys!

I wanna add Japanesse fonts to my game like Katakana.
I have thinked of draw every sprite of japanesse font and use the funciton of "font_add_sprite"
but i see the ANSII get the first 26 chars normally, and the Katakana use of 46 chars.

It's just, how it's a easy way of add Japanesse fonts?

Coded Games

Hoi guys!

I wanna add Japanesse fonts to my game like Katakana.
I have thinked of draw every sprite of japanesse font and use the funciton of "font_add_sprite"
but i see the ANSII get the first 26 chars normally, and the Katakana use of 46 chars.

It's just, how it's a easy way of add Japanesse fonts?
If your font includes the characters you can just tell GameMaker to include the Unicode range that contains those characters. Then they will be added like any other character from a font.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
You might also want to check out this thread on CJK characters support.
That thread mentions this post along the line, which apparently includes an example how to handle fonts.

This method uses font_add, so all you need is to pick a font (TTF, maybe some other format too) with the character range you need, and then load it into the game at runtime. Once you setup a flexible system to handle that (loading fonts, loading localized text etc.), it's easier to support other languages as well. This also spares you the task of rendering specific characters yourself then adding them with font_add_sprite_ext.