• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Hippyman's Super Important Opinions and Suggestions

hippyman

This will be my go to topic to post my opinions on the new IDE as well as any suggestions I might have. I'll continue to add more as I use the program.

Just tested out the layouts. I saved a layout and then reset it to the default layout. Then I loaded the layout that I saved, but GM started acting weird. I couldn't close the image editor or change the brush at all. Couldn't pan the image around and ultimately had to close the IDE because it wasn't working. I'll test it some more and report a bug if it keeps doing it. But this might need some looking into.
You can change the name of every other resource directly but you have to change the scripts name from the resource tree for some reason. It doesn't really make sense. Please add the ability to change the script name directly. If you can't directly change the name of your script, try clicking slower. Turns out if you click too fast it doesn't set it to edit the name.
A quicker way to change the opacity of a certain color would be nice. There's a good chunk of space that you could put sliders for the alpha value of each color
When zooming in and out on the sprite, it would be better if it didn't zoom so much each tick. Basically instead of zooming by 25% (or whatever it is) make it zoom in by like 5-10% or even add a slider that lets you set it to what you want. You could put a little drop down button that shows a slider right here similar to how the grid opacity slider works.
I don't like that you can scroll infinitely in any direction. I would recommend putting a cap at least on the left and top so you can always have a quick point to jump to if you get lost when zooming and scrolling around.

Took a little figuring out but the customization is pretty extensive. You can set up the IDE how you really want it. Got a second monitor? Throw your room editor on it and drag the room editor properties over to the new window. Add a second dock and add a resource tree to it. Don't want to keep doing that every time you open GM???? :):):):) Save your layout.

I personally don't care for the zooming in and out in the workspace.

Custom backgrounds in the workspace are a nice touch.
The color history is an excellent addition that I wouldn't have thought of myself. But helps a ton for trying out colors quickly.

Live Editing is a weird but neat feature that is definitely going to result in some interesting art from some of our more creative GM users. (Fire is a breeze to draw now! ;))

Custom brushes are a HUGE improvement. I don't know if it's already in yet but it would be nice to save brushes to be imported in other projects.
Legitimate multiple object selection! No more painfully clicking every single instance carefully and only getting to move it once.

At first I felt "meh" about all of this. But the more I use the program, the more I can't wait for the full release. I'll definitely be purchasing the desktop export and possibly the HTML5 export. I don't care for mobile and will get Linux and Mac exports if I ever actually release a game on Steam or something. There are pros and cons, but in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. Knowing this is a beta also gets me excited to see what YYG has in store for the future.

Last edited:

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
You can change the name of every other resource directly but you have to change the scripts name from the resource tree for some reason.
You can change the script name by double-clicking it's name within its tab as well, although I've found I have to double-click a little slower than I'm used to.

hippyman

You can change the script name by double-clicking it's name within its tab as well, although I've found I have to double-click a little slower than I'm used to.
Aah that was my problem also apparently. I guess I'm a quick clicker and GM just wants me to chill out. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll remove that from the list.

hippyman

You CAN change the "slow click" speed in the prefs, btw... :)
I'm starting to find more and more that if I have an issue with something, there's a way to change it myself. I'm liking this a lot so far. I should probably post my overall experience somewhere in the OP.