GameMaker High resolution sprites and game file size

S

Smenkare

I'm making a game with high res sprites. I made one room and for example background sprites size is 15000x13000 px. All png's from first room size is about 400mb. I'd like to make like 70 rooms in my game and i think that size of all sprites im using will be 5-7gb. Is it possible to make such game in gamemaker? Is it going to work?

D

Deleted member 13992

Should be? You'll want to cut up those sprites into smaller pieces so that they can fit in the texture pages.

As a reference, Sword of Ditto is made in GMS2 and has GBs of sprite data.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16767

It is. But, I would wait for the "inspector" to be released before making that project. If the "inspector" is what I think it is.

drandula

I would cut to smaller pieces and try reuse assets, this would also give modularity if you want to make tiny changes. With one big background asset you are bound to change whole picture for changes.
Also I recall max texture page bring 8192x8192, so bigger ones get shrunk anyways to fit.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If you're not planning to use all of those at the same time... maybe. Depends on the target device's hardware, as loading more into RAM than the user's system can handle is the fastest way to cause a crash. So, it really depends on the (uncompressed, 32 bit per pixel + overhead!) file size of all the resources you're going to use at once, not ever.

Z

zendraw

you can test it out in a test project, just make 70 rooms with 1 huge sprite per room, cut the sprites in pieces and see how it goes. see the limitations like youll need to cut that huge sprite, then manage texture pages, baasically you have to work it out.

There's very little reason to use backgrounds that high res in anything considering that's over double 8k. All it's going to do is play hell on the engine and cause a cascade of memory issues for the systems trying to run it.

If it's that big because it's an entire room with everything on it that's when you need to break it up into tiles and multiple background sections so it can be managed in smaller chunks.