1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

High res graphics

Discussion in 'Programming' started by GM029, Feb 14, 2019 at 1:26 AM.

1. GM029

GM029 Member

Is it possible to use high resolution graphics then use code/GM interface to scale them to fit your game world? I want the graphics to look really crisp even if played on a big monitor or TV.

Using GameMaker 1.4

2. TheSly

TheSly Member

Short answer, yes.

Gamemaker can use SWF files, which will allow for better scaling then what png/pixel based sprites will allow, considering you can manipulate the image sizes/ etc easier externally when needed.

Gamemaker runs fine at high resolution with larger detailed pixel art or swf files, all as long as it's programmed accordingly.

3. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

There are some restrictions you need to be aware of with regards to .swf files.

Check the information here to make yourself aware of what you can and can't do to make sure you create compatible files you can use.

4. dannyjenn

dannyjenn Member

If you go with ordinary *.png sprites (not *.swf), scaling is still doable.

Usually scaling down doesn't look as bad as scaling up, so if you make all your sprites at high resolution then they will probably look pretty nice even on smaller screens (as opposed to making them low resolution and scaling them up, which would generally look pretty bad on bigger screens). The downside is that if you make all your sprites at high resolution, they'll use up a lot more memory.

5. GM029

GM029 Member

Thanks! Yea what I'm probably going to do is size all my sprites to 400-500 pixels wide then shrink them down to the 32-64px in GameMaker most of my sprites are sized at relative to the room sizes. I've been creating all of my assets on a 4000x4000 canvas so it should work. Right now in fullscreen mode some of my graphics look a little blurry when set to their native size. Hopefully by starting at a higher res they'll look crisp full size on bigger screens.