SOLVED High res graphic

S

Smenkare

Is it possible to make high res graphic without using vectors? I paint everything and scan it. My character sprite resolution is 600x400, it looks great with camera 1920x1080 but when i change it to 2970x1620 my character is a little pixelated and its not that sharp. I assume its impossible with rastr graphic to get sharp look. Am i right?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Not impossible, but scaling raster graphics will invariably introduce distortion. The one case where you can avoid this is when you're not scaling anything, but from the sound of the topic, that may be unavoidable.

You could try doing it the other way, though. Use high resolution source graphics and scale down instead of up. This way, you won't have to make up non-existent data on the fly. You may still encounter visual artifacts as a result of the scaling, though. You may or may not be able to remedy this via post-processing.

Depending on your painting style, you may try to convert your picture to a vector path in Inkscape. Probably would need a bit of tweaking, but hey, what doesn't?
I use one of those cheap 80$ drawing tablet, and it does it's job. Way better than working with a mouse for sure.

S

Smenkare

Its not looking bad but its not looking so good as when theres smaller camera view. I guess its impossible since hd monitor has 1920x1080 pixels and rastr graphic is using squares :/

Mr Magnus

Viking King
It's just the unfortunate reality of upscaling: If you have an image made from 100 tiny blocks and double it in size you don't suddenly get 400 tiny blocks, you get 100 big blocks.

however Tsuka has the right of it. If you need raster graphics the trick is to scan at the highest quality and scale down. A tiny bit of blurring as the computer squashes the pixels together looks a lot better and higher quality than the obvious blocks that appear when scaling up.

S

Smenkare

It's just the unfortunate reality of upscaling: If you have an image made from 100 tiny blocks and double it in size you don't suddenly get 400 tiny blocks, you get 100 big blocks.

however Tsuka has the right of it. If you need raster graphics the trick is to scan at the highest quality and scale down. A tiny bit of blurring as the computer squashes the pixels together looks a lot better and higher quality than the obvious blocks that appear when scaling up.
i did it. Maybe i will show how it looks like. 1st image is with view 1,1 x fullhd and the 2nd is 1,5 x fullhd. Can i do anything with this? 1.png2.png
If i use this sprite with higher res then 600x400 will it help with anything? It doesnt look like he scales it up for me, it looks like theres not enough pixels in monitor to show everything. Am i right or not?

TrunX

The outlines might be too thin to stay visible when you scale the graphic down.
Enable interpolation (bilinear filtering) might help also a bit compared to no interpolation when scaling down.

hogwater

Render your final artwork at the size you want to see it in the game. Work even larger than that in PS or whatever.

Also 1080p might as well be SD at this point.

S

Smenkare

The outlines might be too thin to stay visible when you scale the graphic down.
Enable interpolation (bilinear filtering) might help also a bit compared to no interpolation when scaling down.
Oh my god :) that was so easy and i didnt event think about this. Everything is sharp and looks really good :) thank you for your time guys. One more question, how does it affect performance?