• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Hidden Object games

D

Douffle

Can Gamemaker Studio 2 create hidden object games? Hidden object games are games where you have a room that is cluttered with numerous objects and you have a list of objects that are hidden somewhere within all of the other objects scattered around the room. When you find an object that is on the list you click on it with your mouse, the object disappears and the name of the object is removed from the list.

An example of a hidden object game would be "Vacation Adventures - Cruise Director 4".

Thanks

Toque

Can Gamemaker Studio 2 create hidden object games? Hidden object games are games where you have a room that is cluttered with numerous objects and you have a list of objects that are hidden somewhere within all of the other objects scattered around the room. When you find an object that is on the list you click on it with your mouse, the object disappears and the name of the object is removed from the list.

An example of a hidden object game would be "Vacation Adventures - Cruise Director 4".

Thanks

It can. And do it well.
It’s a very basic mechanic for a game.

Dmi7ry

As you can see, yep, you can.
The video shows very early version of HOPA (Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure) engine, I did some years ago (and very raw, it's more likely a proof of concept).

D

Douffle

Thank you for the responses. I purchased the GM desktop version but I have not done anything with it yet because I have to learn how to use it. Hidden object games was one of the things that I wanted to try. I'll see if I can learn a bit about GM and then maybe I can find a tutorial on how to make a hidden object game in GM.

Thanks again for the responses. Very much appreciated!

I dunno if there's a tutorial specifically on HOG's, but the mechanic is so damn simple that -any- tutorial you look at should likely give you the basic code you'll need for a HOG.

D

Douffle

I dunno if there's a tutorial specifically on HOG's, but the mechanic is so damn simple that -any- tutorial you look at should likely give you the basic code you'll need for a HOG.
I am trying to learn GM and when I get a little more knowledge I'll give it a shot. I also have to find someplace where I can get items to hide in the game. I'll try Googling it.

Thanks for your reply.

Rayek

I also have to find someplace where I can get items to hide in the game. I'll try Googling it.
I'd create scenes in Blender, and render out the backgrounds and individual items. BlendSwap has many good quality items and scenes that could work for you.

https://www.blendswap.com/ us a good starting point.
Others listed here: https://all3dp.com/1/free-3d-models-download-best-sites-3d-archive-3d/

As far as I can tell, Vacation Adventures graphics are (partly) rendered using 3d software as well, and then put together in the game engine.

T

Taddio

Tho pixel-art "click on the background" kind of games could be a cool niche as well. Seems to me this kind of game pretty much always relies on rendered 3D images, since forever. Just a thought.

D

Douffle

Tho pixel-art "click on the background" kind of games could be a cool niche as well. Seems to me this kind of game pretty much always relies on rendered 3D images, since forever. Just a thought.
Thanks, I'll check that out too.

Toque

Yeah I would watch some beginner tutorials. Friendly cosmonot has a couple nice ones. Just to cover basics.

D

Douffle

Yeah I would watch some beginner tutorials. Friendly cosmonot has a couple nice ones. Just to cover basics.
Actually I tried the Space Rocks tutorial and although I followed along step-by-step, I had some weird problems with it. For example the ship and the asteroids had missing pixels even though the images that I imported did not. I tried drawing the ship and asteroids in the GM editor rather than importing images but I got the same results. Also the text displaying the lives and the score had the tops clipped off. Not sure why that is but I was still able to learn a bit about GML anyway.