Hi how do i make a player kick a soccer ball in dnd. I'm new to Gamemaker so i don't know much .

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neil_1243

I'm making a soccer game i placed the ball in the center and i can move the player very well but the problem is that my player goes through the ball instead of pushing it towards the other side goal posts and i also want to kick to ball when i go near it by pressing space. Thank you

N

neil_1243

no i got it from my friends pc on usb he has the license copy i dont know about mine

no i got it from my friends pc on usb he has the license copy i dont know about mine
So you copied the software from his pc, that means you didn't buy the license. I don't think that's allowed under the term of use. But I'll leave it to the admin and those with better knowledge to weigh in on this.

Eeek, pretty sure you'll get banned from here for admitting to using a pirated copy. In any case, your best bet is to ask your parents for the $40 to get Creator Studio, which will give you a year long license so you can try out GMS and see if you find programming fun. It's a good way to learn programming techniques that are useful no matter what language you are coding in while making cool little games. I'm assuming you're young from your posts, so yeah. Just see if your parents'll get you Creator Studio then come back and ask all the questions you want.

C

CombatCalamity

@neil_1243 Please, do yourself a favor by learning another engine, not GM.

There are countless other free game engines (not to mention much better ones) that are not only free and better, but also don't require you to have to deal with the community intimidating you from pirating when you're just asking a question from day one.

Last edited:
Uhhh, lolwut? The official GMS community is being 'intimidating' by not encouraging piracy? Pray tell, what stance should be expected when one admits to pirating software on the official forum of said software?

EDIT: Also, how about you go hang out on those other game engines forum? Seems like a better fit for you than hanging around here telling people how bad GM and the GMC is.

There are countless other free game engines (not to mention much better ones) that are not only free and better, but also don't require you to have to deal with the community intimidating you from pirating when you're just asking a question from day one.
The posts above are some of the least intimidating ones I've seen on the topic of pirating. More like gently suggesting getting a licensed copy so that they may post their questions here legitimately. I'm sure the poster would receive the same advice on any forum regarding using allegedly pirated software.

And I doubt there are *countless* other engines out there that are "much better" (in your purely subjective opinion).

You're reply to the OP is as if a customer was in a Mercedes dealership, and someone else showed up in a stolen Mercedes asking the staff "how do I use this thing", and the customer went up to the thief and said, don't ask questions here, the staff like to intimidate and report people with stolen cars to the police, you should go and find a free and much better car to use instead.

C

CombatCalamity

Uhhh, lolwut? The official GMS community is being 'intimidating' by not encouraging piracy? Pray tell, what stance should be expected when one admits to pirating software on the official forum of said software?

EDIT: Also, how about you go hang out on those other game engines forum? Seems like a better fit for you than hanging around here telling people how bad GM and the GMC is.
I'm more concerned with the guy above you. Some dude is still using 1.4 so he's pirating it? He could very well have bought a bundle long time ago but just go the time to use it.

Yes, newsflash, accusing you for pirating when you're simply using an older version is intimidating.

Only in this case, the accused pleaded guilty, which leads to your reaction. Not blaming you.

Oh I do hang out at those other forums, don't you worry about me. :) I'm just here for a public service.

C

CombatCalamity

The posts above are some of the least intimidating ones I've seen on the topic of pirating. More like gently suggesting getting a licensed copy so that they may post their questions here legitimately. I'm sure the poster would receive the same advice on any forum regarding using allegedly pirated software.

And I doubt there are *countless* other engines out there that are "much better" (in your purely subjective opinion).

You're reply to the OP is as if a customer was in a Mercedes dealership, and someone else showed up in a stolen Mercedes asking the staff "how do I use this thing", and the customer went up to the thief and said, don't ask questions here, the staff like to intimidate and report people with stolen cars to the police, you should go and find a free and much better car to use instead.
Except the guy brought a perfectly normal mercedes with no sign of it being a stolen car, but regardless, he is accused of stealing the car anyways!

No sign, no nothing. Just accusing randomly.

That's what the guy above did.

Tell me, how do you know he stole a copy when he's simply using an older version?

Nice analogy to fit your narration tho, try better next time.

I'm not interested in arguing, and my post to him been polite. But you're pointing your finger at me in his defence, a person who didn't pay for something me and others did. Read again, he took/was given a copy from his friend. His friend might have purchased it legally or not, who knows. But the point is he didn't. Your claim he might have bought it long before he posted is false, since he said it himself he didn't make any purchase. And fyi, v.1.x been stopped from distribution, there's not even free trial available on the site, so that's a natural question to ask given he said he's new and using gms1.

C

CombatCalamity

I'm not interested in arguing, and my post to him been polite. But you're pointing your finger at me in his defence, a person who didn't pay for something me and others did. Read again, he took/was given a copy from his friend. His friend might have purchased it legally or not, who knows. But the point is he didn't. Your claim he might have bought it long before he posted is false, since he said it himself he didn't make any purchase. And fyi, v.1.x been stopped from distribution, there's not even free trial available on the site, so that's a natural question to ask given he said he's new and using gms1.
Yes, because in this case he happened to steal it, he admitted it. It's irrelevant because even before that you're already randomly accusing of stealing. You missed my point.

I'm not talking about trial version either. He could've bought the bundle long ago (in case you're new around here), but only now got the chance to actually use it. There used to be multiple humble bundles that at $10, you get many exports and a pro version of 1.4. All legal.

Also, objectively, I'm just suggesting him to move to other plenty free engines that are as good if not better. He can start learning without having to pay for anything upfront.

I'm not randomly accusing him. I'm basing my question base on the fact gms1 been discontinued, while he said he's new and using gms1. If he said he's using a legit copy which he bought himself, I'll have answered his question. But regardless, he could opt to use GMS2 trial version if he wants to give the software a try and is free. Suggesting someone to go use competitor's IDE in a legal software forum isn't right action, don't you think? That's like you working in a shop and telling the customer to go elsewhere better than the place you're working for. Of cause in this case you're not working for GMS and not being paid. But that's the closest analogy in term of ethics. But like I said, I'm not interested in arguing, I join this forum with good intention. :)

C

CombatCalamity

Suggesting someone to go use competitor's IDE in a legal software forum isn't right action, don't you think? That's like you working in a shop and telling the customer to go elsewhere better than the place you're working for. Of cause in this case you're not working for GMS and not being paid. But that's the closest analogy in term of ethics.
Don't talk to me about ethics when you're blatantly misguiding novices who don't know any better into buying a product that does not always fit their needs.

You're right, I'm not paid. Neither are you. We should then both be focused more on trying to help this guy by objectively suggesting the best solution for him, regardless of which shop we're currently at, and less on pleasing a company?

My suggestion: if you can buy GMS2, then buy it. It's great to start off your game dev journey. If you really can't pay then use other bazillion free game engines out there that can also export to all platforms. Don't force it. You're not tied into this engine yet, you still have options.

It's a different story if you've invested time in GM, and you're already comfortable with it. I highly suggest you to buy it.

Since you haven't, your options are wider.

rIKmAN

(in case you're new around here)
Says the guy with his February 2019 dated account...
People might listen to what you have to say if you posted using your regular account instead of hiding behind this alt account.

FWIW I read the post by SnortySnoopy as a question posed by someone who wasn't a native English speaker, rather than an accusation.
ie. "You're using pirated version?" instead of "Are you using a pirated version?" which is how a native speaker would work it.

Nothing wrong with asking the question - I ask it myself (as do others) when people say they are using GMS 1.2 or GMS 1643 or whatever the well known pirated version is.

As it turns out he is using a pirated copy, so I don't see the issue here or why you are trying to defend it.
Like you say there are plenty of free options, but GMS isn't one of them and just because other engines are free doesn't justify piracy of it.

T

Taddio

You can do a lot with the trial version imo. See if you like it and buy it if you do.
Absolutey, I used it a lot to learn, but the no export/no import options really ****.
They should at least watermark the .exe like in some Legacy versions, that would make it way more appealing if you could export some stuff to.
And tho unsure, I beleive you have a couple of installs with each license, I don't know if it's transferabble between members of a team, but if they do partner up, my guess is it's maybe not as "pirated" as one may think. Anyway!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Sigh... Well this is a train wreck of a topic. @neil_1243 your account is banned for using a copy of GMS that (by your own admission) you do not have a legitimate licence for. If this is not the case then you can contact the YYG helpdesk with your licence details and and I'll be happy to permit you back on the forums.

@CombatCalamity : You are way out of line with your comments in this topic and the members here have been polite and friendly to the user and at no point have they been "intimidating" or rude, unlike yourself. I would suggest that if you do not like these forums and no longer use GameMaker (or are not prepared to follow the forum rules about recommending competing software) then you should leave before you too are banned.

Topic closed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.