Hey everyone, planning to purchase one of the packages and I need some questions answered, please.

I

iSoloGaming

Hi Everyone!

I am currently using Unity3D and Unreal Engine 4 but I would love to also acquire Game Maker and add it to my collection.

I noticed there are different prices for Game Maker (1) or the free version.
I noticed there is a new version Game Maker 2 and it is $99 for the PC version (coding for PC games)

Will the $99 version give me everything the $799 version includes for Game Maker 1? Or does that version include Web and Mobile development as well hence why the steep fee?

Is Game Maker 2 still in Beta? When is it planned to have a stable lunch?

Once I purchase the $99 PC Version, will I have EVERYTHING for PC (all the tools available) or will there be additional fees to unlock more features and other hidden fees?

I know Unity3D has a Pro version but the only difference between the Free and the Pro version is that the Pro gives you a darker interface and some discounts on the market place etc, no real features. Is this the same deal for Game Maker when comparing Free Vs Pro version? If not then what features am I missing by only getting the Free version?

Also, I installed Game Maker on Steam and it is about 200MB lighter than the one from YoYo and it looks A LOT different when you launch it. How come? Anyone has experience with both versions? (YoYo and Steam)

I have a large team who is awaiting answers for the above questions in order to decide on what to purchase. Please help us by explaining what we don't understand!

Thank you in advance for reading this entire post and I hope I found a good community to be a part of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 607
D

dcamod

Your initial guess was correct the reason for the steep price increase is for the ability to develop on other platforms and you can purchase these as needed. (android,ios,etc...)
You will have everything you need for pc for $99.
Also, I am available for work, and I am willing to work for free to build my portfolio.

I

iSoloGaming

Your initial guess was correct the reason for the steep price increase is for the ability to develop on other platforms and you can purchase these as needed. (android,ios,etc...)
You will have everything you need for pc for $99.
Also, I am available for work, and I am willing to work for free to build my portfolio.
Thank you, can you explain why Game Maker 1 is $165.99CAD on Steam then? Shouldn't Game Maker 1 be cheaper than 2?
I am talking about the Gamer Maker 1 Professional Edition, not the Free one of-course.

As for adding you to my team (or anyone else who is interested) That is definitely possible. I compensate everyone with royalty fees whether anyone is asking or not asking for payment (to avoid uncomfortable situations in the future) Everyone should get paid for their work. Having said that, it needs to be a certain amount of work. If you can handle it, you will be compensated for it. Otherwise, definitely use it for your portfolio. I am JUST starting to learn how to program and my specialty is Sound for now. I am the one who makes the soundtrack and everything you can hear in-game. I am excited to learn how to code to be able to bring my ideas into reality as well.

I still have some unanswered question at the top, will extremely appreciate an answer.

Reactions: 607
D

dcamod

I did not purchase my copy on steam. I did that directly through the website and it was during a sale. Honestly I have no Idea about that.

I

iSoloGaming

I did not purchase my copy on steam. I did that directly through the website and it was during a sale. Honestly I have no Idea about that.
Thank you, hopefully someone else can answer the rest of my questions.

Thanks again! PM me with your IM details so we can start the process of working together.

N

NPT

I'm having trouble understanding why your questions are relevant to your purchasing decisions?

They don't make sense. And why should GameMaker Studio 1 be cheaper? Digital Software isn't like physical inventory that should be liquidated.

R

Remaining Element

GMS2 beta is open, you should try the program. It's a significant update over GMS1. I'm quite amazed by it so far.

@iSoloGaming: GMS2 is still in beta right now, and doesn't have all the exports GMS1 does, which may be right GMS1 still costs more right now. GMS2 only exports to desktop right now, as far as I remember. With GMS1, you had to buy the Professional version to be able to buy any of the exports, which was a pretty weird system, at least to me. With GMS2, they're planning to allow you to buy whatever exports you want, without having to buy any other modules first. Here's the page explaining the pricing for GMS2: http://www.yoyogames.com/get2

If you "join the beta!" for $99, you'll have everything you need to export to the Windows platform forever. No hidden fees or anything like that. =)

If you need to make a game right now, then GMS1 might be better - it's older and more stable (kind of), and it will let you export to other platforms, unlike GMS2 right now. edit: my mistake, the exports are available for 2.0, too. Definitely go for 2.0 over 1.0, hahah. If you want to just start using GM, and you're not worrying about shipping a game next month or anything crazy like that, then I'd just get GMS2....the UI and room editor are huge improvements over GMS1, and GMS2 just feels better built and nicer to use than GMS1 in general, despite some weird bugs still appearing in it (It's beta!)

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Just to add to this as it's something I asked a while ago, if you wanted to export to just iOS/Android and bought the Mobile Export module, you are still able to "Test" on your desktop.

ie. You can hit the play button and still run/debug on Windows, but you cannot export to Windows (create an executable), you can only export to iOS/Android (because that's the module you bought).

No matter what module, or combination of modules you buy, you will always be able to "test" on your desktop.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
GMS2 is still in beta right now, and doesn't have all the exports GMS1 does, which may be right GMS1 still costs more right now. GMS2 only exports to desktop right now, as far as I remember.
This is wrong, sorry. All the different licences are now available for 2.0. If you are JUST wanting iOS and Android then I recommend GMS2 Mobile licence. When you purchase 2.0 you ALSO get 1.4 so it makes more sense to jump on 2 even though it's still in Beta (and don't be put off by the Beta tag, as 2.0 is very stable and the exports work perfectly). With the Mobile 2.0 licence you get iOS and Android and the ability to test on the PC that runs the program.

1.4 is nearing the end of it's life and I can't recommend you spend money on it when 2,0 is now available, is far superior and also gives you 1.4 anyway.

S

Salvakiya

GMS2.0 is still lacking many essential features that GMS1 has(ability to import multiple scripts at once, sprite editor is missing some options, and other things like this). Also I have yet to figure out how to make extensions with GMS2(adding scripts and such)... maybe that's just me though. I would consider this when deciding whether or not to spend money on it. Do try the beta though... and Do give feedback. there are some features GMS2 has which are nice but it is not worth building any large scale projects in yet.

The guy that just released Rock God (ported from 1.4 and finished in GMS2) would beg to differ... ;)
There is a difference between building from scratch and porting, though. GMS2 being able to export a finished game doesn't mean it's comfortable to build a game from the ground up in GMS2. ;)
/Devil's advocate

I'd still recommend buying GMS2 over GMS1 now, though. If nothing else, it's good enough (and probably better than that), and will only improve, where GMS1 is dead, obviously. =)

Ehhhh. I don't know how high profile Nykra is. YYG has been pushing hard for it as some flagship title to go along with GMS2'a launch from what I've seen, but I haven't seen huge interest from the public. The game does look pretty nice, though, so I'll give you that. I'm sure it's possible to build a game in GMS2, at any rate. Like I said in my earlier posts, GMS2 is a joy to use. =)

I

iSoloGaming

I'm having trouble understanding why your questions are relevant to your purchasing decisions?

They don't make sense. And why should GameMaker Studio 1 be cheaper? Digital Software isn't like physical inventory that should be liquidated.
Well then let me make it clearer, though everyone else understood me :)
I was just WONDERING. (I have very little knowledge of how this industry works other than sound design)
So as a beginner, all my questions make sense. Also, usually when something new and better is released... The predecessor becomes cheaper or free altogether (this has been proven in this case because someone here mentioned you get 1.4 FOR FREE now if you buy 2.0). Clear now?

GMS2 beta is open, you should try the program. It's a significant update over GMS1. I'm quite amazed by it so far.
I am already on it :) So far it is amazing but with my limited knowledge when it comes to this, everything is new and amazing to me lol.

@iSoloGaming: GMS2 is still in beta right now, and doesn't have all the exports GMS1 does, which may be right GMS1 still costs more right now. GMS2 only exports to desktop right now, as far as I remember. With GMS1, you had to buy the Professional version to be able to buy any of the exports, which was a pretty weird system, at least to me. With GMS2, they're planning to allow you to buy whatever exports you want, without having to buy any other modules first. Here's the page explaining the pricing for GMS2: http://www.yoyogames.com/get2

If you "join the beta!" for $99, you'll have everything you need to export to the Windows platform forever. No hidden fees or anything like that. =)

If you need to make a game right now, then GMS1 might be better - it's older and more stable (kind of), and it will let you export to other platforms, unlike GMS2 right now. edit: my mistake, the exports are available for 2.0, too. Definitely go for 2.0 over 1.0, hahah. If you want to just start using GM, and you're not worrying about shipping a game next month or anything crazy like that, then I'd just get GMS2....the UI and room editor are huge improvements over GMS1, and GMS2 just feels better built and nicer to use than GMS1 in general, despite some weird bugs still appearing in it (It's beta!)

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.
Thanks for making it crystal clear!!! This was real help :)
Like, so much detail and answers to future question I didn't even ask yet and would have if you didn't say what you said :D

Just to add to this as it's something I asked a while ago, if you wanted to export to just iOS/Android and bought the Mobile Export module, you are still able to "Test" on your desktop.

ie. You can hit the play button and still run/debug on Windows, but you cannot export to Windows (create an executable), you can only export to iOS/Android (because that's the module you bought).

No matter what module, or combination of modules you buy, you will always be able to "test" on your desktop.
That's real good to know, again, extra helpful info! Thank you! :D

This is wrong, sorry. All the different licences are now available for 2.0. If you are JUST wanting iOS and Android then I recommend GMS2 Mobile licence. When you purchase 2.0 you ALSO get 1.4 so it makes more sense to jump on 2 even though it's still in Beta (and don't be put off by the Beta tag, as 2.0 is very stable and the exports work perfectly). With the Mobile 2.0 licence you get iOS and Android and the ability to test on the PC that runs the program.

1.4 is nearing the end of it's life and I can't recommend you spend money on it when 2,0 is now available, is far superior and also gives you 1.4 anyway.
Thanks for helping us all ;) Definitely a killer bundle :) So when you buy GMS2.0 does it give the Professional version? or the one that is $799.99? (for 1.4)

GMS2.0 is still lacking many essential features that GMS1 has(ability to import multiple scripts at once, sprite editor is missing some options, and other things like this). Also I have yet to figure out how to make extensions with GMS2(adding scripts and such)... maybe that's just me though. I would consider this when deciding whether or not to spend money on it. Do try the beta though... and Do give feedback. there are some features GMS2 has which are nice but it is not worth building any large scale projects in yet.
Thanks for the extra info, did you try asking the community here? Maybe they can tell you how to find what you're looking for. I know some people like to look for the solution themselves so that's why I am asking if you tried asking :)

The guy that just released Rock God (ported from 1.4 and finished in GMS2) and the guy making Nykra (entirely a 2.0 project) would beg to differ... ;)
Who is that guy? I checked out your game too! Pretty cool!

I edited my post to include a high-profile game being built from the ground up too. :)

Also, YOU GET 1.4 WHEN YOU BUY 2.0 ANYWAY. I think this point needs to be stressed more...
I did ask it here already but since you mentioned it too... I know GMS1.4 has the FREE option and then there's the PRO and then there's all the DLCs (I saw on Steam and was mentioned here) up to $799.99CAD. So which ones do you get when you purchase GMS2.0? The PRO? or all of those addons? I assume just the PRO. Which is great anyways.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I don't see why you would want to use 1.4 over 2.0 tbh...
ability to import multiple scripts at once, sprite editor is missing some options, and other things like this
You can import multiple scripts, they just need to be in separate files.
Sprite editor is now far better. The fact they removed some of the image effects like gradient, reduces the number of awful graphics people make.

Honestly GMS2 is far better than 1.4 (even though I have been known to complain about some aspects a lot)

I

iSoloGaming

You'll get 1.4 now, actually... ;)
Awesome, I am getting it RIGHT NOW!

Sprite editor is now far better. The fact they removed some of the image effects like gradient, reduces the number of awful graphics people make.

Honestly GMS2 is far better than 1.4 (even though I have been known to complain about some aspects a lot)
I am starting to realize that haha. Some posts just made it seem like 2.0 is extremely horrendous in terms of lacking features which are needed right now and stability.
I am gonna purchase 2.0 right now for $99USD. I wonder if I should do it via steam or here. Actually I think it's not even available on Steam yet.

The fact they removed some of the image effects like gradient, reduces the number of awful graphics people make.
What did they replace that with? If people used that before, what do they use now that they removed it?

GMWolf

aka fel666
What did they replace that with? If people used that before, what do they use now that they removed it?
The sprite editor still exists. But it has been vastly improved.

What they removed was the option to overlay the image with a gradient, or add a glow effect, etc. These where overused by GM users and produced rather poor looking sprites.

I

iSoloGaming

The sprite editor still exists. But it has been vastly improved.

What they removed was the option to overlay the image with a gradient, or add a glow effect, etc. These where overused by GM users and produced rather poor looking sprites.
This is awesome news...! So I am happy to say that as of early morning today (very early), I own GameMaker Studio 2 :) Was $130.77CAD for me (at least I didn't pay $900CAD for 1.4 with everything). I must say that this is probably the most versatile tool out there. Whether it is used as a prototype maker to have an initial design to present to someone and start working with Unity or UE4 or whatever Or whether you just want to stick to GMS and GML/DnD. I know of 3 successful games made with GMS and I wonder how they were made, I am sure with some research I can find some answers. One of them is Undertale of course. I highly doubt Undertale was the product of a meticulous DnD process though lol... Looks like it was scripted head to toe. Due to very customized processes in the game that I noticed only from some videos; didn't actually play it yet. I wonder how much work a game like that requires (on average) and the size of a team reasonable for a game like that (from what I know it was made by ONE person) but maybe he is just a genius.

I do want to make games for other platforms as well (Mobile and Web) but I think with the Basic $99 GMS2 I cannot do that from what I saw you guys writing here. I think I saw it's possible to test it but not export it to those platforms (unless purchased the addons).

I think this will be a lot of fun for me. I am already looking forward to begin the journey. I am gonna take the GML route. I like having the option of customizing things to my liking and not being like everyone else. That's also what I do with my sound. A lot of people use templates (nothing wrong with that technically) since a lot is being edited and changed to the point you can't tell this was made with a certain template but I like to do things my own way. Starting with DnD and project examples will definitely be an asset though, as it is a great way to learn.

Wanted to send a big thank to everyone who helped me make a decision here. Money doesn't come by easy and time is the most expensive currency. I like to make the right decision when it comes to both. So thank you.

If any of you requires some Sound Design related help, I am at your service. Send me a PM and I will do my best to help you out.

Cheers!

S

Salvakiya

you should be able to import and export multiple scripts like in GMS1.4 full stop.

GMS2 is better than GMS1.4 in some but not all areas. This is what a beta is for I suppose.

you should be able to convert images to a sprite strip(currently you can only do it the other way around). especially with the tile system GMS2 has. I never use the GM sprite editor to actually make my sprites. I use it to make them compatible with my game or make small changes to frames in the animation. The new sprite editor has some neat features.... but Aseprite and Pyxel Edit do spriting/tiling better. I don't see why so much time was spent on the sprite editor when they could have focused on improving GM's strong points. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. All the new sprite editor does is cripple my workflow which is part of the reason why I cant recommend it in its current state. At least 3 experienced users would agree with me on that.

It is a bit silly for YYG to take away features. It cripples the product and I hope that they fix this.

kudo's to whomever made the compatibility functionality though... since I already purchased GMS2 I guess I will just make my games in 1.4 and import them to GMS2 for tweaking if I and when I hit those special cases where I will see a benefit.

just my 2 cents.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
At least 3 experienced users would agree with me on that.
Wow... a whole 3? Jeez lets scrap the whole thing! :rolleyes:

Seriously though.... the image editor is THE most used feature of GameMaker - if you don't count running a game. Not only do beginners use it all the time, but loads of experienced devs use it to touch up graphics and move stuff around. I'm sure there are things in GMS that lots of folk don't use - I never use timelines for example, but I know lots do, so I can see what they're there. Just because you guys don't, doesn't make it a waste of time to add for those who do.

It is a bit silly for YYG to take away features. It cripples the product and I hope that they fix this.
This sounds like we had them and took them away. We didn't GMS2 is a complete rewrite in a different language. These things were simply never re-written. There is a survey you an go take to tell us the ones you really want back though - if you wanted to.
Not that you care, as you don't use the image editor, and clearly any time we spend on it is waste, so the less "features" we put into the image editor the better. But if you do go do it here :)

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/S8C6WQT

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
IDE is C#, C++ and JavaScript running on top of an abstracted OpenGL.

Runners are.... C++, Java, Objective C, JavaScript - might even be some ASM in there....

GMWolf

aka fel666
IDE is C#, C++ and JavaScript running on top of an abstracted OpenGL.

Runners are.... C++, Java, Objective C, JavaScript - might even be some ASM in there....
Not to go off topic but, JavaScript? That sure is interesting.

Back on topic:

The sprite editor is indeed very important to game maker.
I pretty much use just that when making games because let's face it, its not holding me back.
And the new sprite editor won't be holding me back for a while, thanks to its many improvements.

Having an all in one package is what makes GM the best prototyping tool on the market (at least, in my opinion). And I truly believe that the sprite editor could be used for the final product, even before GMS2. A good artist is a good artist no matter the tool.

S

SVG

This is news to my ears. So does this mean that the 1.4 users will be forced to go with 2.0 eventually? If so then does that mean that the mobile exports I spent money on for the 1.4 pro will need to spent again for the 2.0?

If this all be the case there is little I can do except ask for a discount if one is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good artist is a good artist no matter the tool.
A good artist also picks the best tool for the job as not to waste time he could otherwise be using to make more art. ;)
I could also make all my art in MS-Paint. Doesn't mean I would ever do it, hahah! X'D

That said, GM's sprite editor (in 1.4 at least, haven't really used 2's very much) is pretty good.

GMWolf

aka fel666
A good artist also picks the best tool for the job as not to waste time he could otherwise be using to make more art. ;)
I could also make all my art in MS-Paint. Doesn't mean I would ever do it, hahah! X'D

That said, GM's sprite editor (in 1.4 at least, haven't really used 2's very much) is pretty good.
I would say use whatever tool you are comfortable with. If you are used to say, paint, and make good art with it, may not be worth spending money on a Photoshop license.

Also, GMS2s sprite editor is on a whole other level! Very good!

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
So does this mean that the 1.4 users will be forced to go with 2.0 eventually?
No, you're not being forced to upgrade to GMS2, since GMS1.x will still remain functional and YYG will keep on updating things that are needed for making all the export modules work for quite a while. But these updates will be infrequent and unlikely to add new features and fixes for minor bugs. You can use your YoYo Accounts page to download an installer in case you need one in future. For further information, check out this topic.

If so then does that mean that the mobile exports I spent money on for the 1.4 pro will need to spent again for the 2.0?
Yes, you will have to purchase the Mobile export modules again. That's because GMS2 isn't a regular update, but an entirely different product.

If this all be the case there is little I can do except ask for a discount if one is possible.
There is already one. All the information regarding upgrade discounts can be found on this page. Note that this offer is available until April 30, 2017 only.