• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL Hero's Trail - A Full Game GameMaker Tutorial (DnD)

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hero's Trail - A Full Game GameMaker Tutorial (DnD)

Welcome to Hero’s Trail, a simple and fun tutorial for beginner GameMaker users. This series demonstrates all the amazing things you can do with GameMaker while creating a game. Teaching you from a basic level and allowing you to get to grips with the software. At the end you will have developed your own dungeon-themed action-adventure game using Drag and Drop!

The six part tutorial series covers the following: An introduction to Hero's Trail, developing game features, keys & unlockable chests, levers & gates, enemy AI & objects, player stats & upgrades, audio, pausing and help.

Create your first game and jump into Hero's Trail with GameMaker Studio 2 for free, right now. Happy GameMaking!

Slyddar

Great job all. Those assets look really professional, so it will be a nice draw for new users knowing they can make games of this calibre with Gamemaker.

I really wish that there was a GML version.
At the end of the day, the code for DnD is very easily converted to GML while watching. If you are unsure of the GML equivalent of any codeblocks, just ask in here and we'll be able to assist.

Casho333

Great job all. Those assets look really professional, so it will be a nice draw for new users knowing they can make games of this calibre with Gamemaker.

At the end of the day, the code for DnD is very easily converted to GML while watching. If you are unsure of the GML equivalent of any codeblocks, just ask in here and we'll be able to assist.
Thanks for the tip.

При загрузке шаблонов "HERO'S TRAIL BASE" и "HERO'S TRAIL COMPLETE" я получаю ошибку "Error 500". Когда шаблон будет доступен?

RESOLVED: apparently the version in STEAM contains an error in the part of downloading the template.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi, are you on the latest GMS2 version? Make sure to update it.
Check your firewall etc. and see that GMS2 is allowed to connect.
If that doesn't work, please report the issue here: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us
Hi! I tried two times to made a ticket in the contact us area, but got stucked in the screen uploading a screenshot (it freezes at 100% uploaded)
that's why I'm posting this here:

I use GM with a Mac and when I try to download the basic Hero's Trail project I encounter the error message that appears in the attached screenshot.

I hope you have a solution because I was very excited to start this tutorial :)

Thanks!

Captura de Pantalla 2022-01-13 a la(s) 06.31.42 p. m..png

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Hi! I tried two times to made a ticket in the contact us area, but got stucked in the screen uploading a screenshot (it freezes at 100% uploaded)
that's why I'm posting this here:

I use GM with a Mac and when I try to download the basic Hero's Trail project I encounter the error message that appears in the attached screenshot.

I hope you have a solution because I was very excited to start this tutorial :)

Thanks!

View attachment 45307
Will pass on to the team.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Hello @matharoo! sorry to bother you with this, but I suppose there is nothing new regarding the error that the Hero's Trail DnD Tutorial produces when trying to download it, correct?

Today I tried again, and it keeps giving error :(

Thank you very much for any update on this.
Please submit a report ticket or reply to your existing one saying you are getting this error.

A simple solution I just find to "bypass" the download problem (if you have it of course) of the Hero's Trail Tutorial:

I remembered that in the past, I downloaded the Space Rocks tutorial from the Marketplace.

So I just did the same thing right now: I "purchased" the Hero's Trail Tutorial from the YoYo library, downloaded it and put the Hero's Trail folder where I have all the GM projects. And it worked! :cool:🤦‍♂️

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
A simple solution I just find to "bypass" the download problem (if you have it of course) of the Hero's Trail Tutorial:

I remembered that in the past, I downloaded the Space Rocks tutorial from the Marketplace.

So I just did the same thing right now: I "purchased" the Hero's Trail Tutorial from the YoYo library, downloaded it and put the Hero's Trail folder where I have all the GM projects. And it worked! :cool:🤦‍♂️
Good workaround. Here is a link to download the asset directly from the Marketplace for anyone still facing template download issues: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/10342/hero-s-trail-base-dnd

I been follow the page tutorial here.
and i stuck with the bat having too many bullet shooting in second. How do i reduce it to two bullet at the time or it is something wrong with my GMS 2 version?
(currently runtime version 2022.6.0.23)
there is screenshoot attached for my workout so far.
*Another weird thing happen the top up left corner in the game room having a skeleton walking around as i couldn't find i put any object there in any instance layers.
*I'm new to this just learning to familiar in drag and drop method.
Sorry to post it here. Please remove it as i kind a bit lost where to tell my problem in forum.

Attachments

Last edited:

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I been follow the page tutorial here.
and i stuck with the bat having too many bullet shooting in second. How do i reduce it to two bullet at the time or it is something wrong with my GMS 2 version?
(currently runtime version 2022.6.0.23)
there is screenshoot attached for my workout so far.
*Another weird thing happen the top up left corner in the game room having a skeleton walking around as i couldn't find i put any object there in any instance layers.
*I'm new to this just learning to familiar in drag and drop method.
Sorry to post it here. Please remove it as i kind a bit lost where to tell my problem in forum.
I think the problem is that your action that stops Alarm 0, is under the wrong "Else".

You want your alarm to reset if the enemy is not in the player's range anymore, however your Else makes it reset if it's... not reset. So basically it resets the second it's not reset and that's why it constantly shoots.
1658720916312.png

I think the problem is that your action that stops Alarm 0, is under the wrong "Else".

You want your alarm to reset if the enemy is not in the player's range anymore, however your Else makes it reset if it's... not reset. So basically it resets the second it's not reset and that's why it constantly shoots.
View attachment 49654
I did solved the problem yesterday. Thanks for the reply