• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D Help with Wavefront.obj file format

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickKall

Hi Everyone,

First, apologies to the moderator for bumping the original. Sorry.

I am trying to make a 3d modelling program. Picture below...

...Tried to upload a photo but the website wouldn't let me...

I have been using Model Creator for some time. Thought I could try making one for myself. I want to make it so you can use multiple textures.

I have done a gamemaker model export. I would like to be able to export to .obj format. After all my reading, I can find a clear description regarding the materials.

Here is where I think I have to go.

1. Save the textures into the same directory as the model file as .mtl files.
for example: texture1.mtl and texture2.mtl
2. Here is where I get into trouble. Is this how I would reference the textures in the .obj file
Code:
Code:
mtlib texture1.mtl
mtlib texture2.mtl

v 1 1 0
v 1 2 0
v 2 2 0
vt 0 0
vt 1 0
vt 1 1
usemtl texture1
f 1/1 2/2 3/3

v 1 1 0
v 1 1 0
v 2 2 0
vt 0 0
vt 0 1
vt 1 1
usemtl texture2
f 4/4 5/5 6/6
Now. Here are my questions.

Will this .obj file get texture1 for the first triangle and texture2 for the second?
Is the mtlib business at the top needed there or should I make a seperate text file for the textures or mtlib?
When do I use newmtl commands?

Bonus questions:
Can the textures repeat? ie Can the u and v values be 24 and -16?
On the textures, is 0,0 on the top left or the bottom left?

Thank you for reading and look forward to reading your responses.

Nick

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Ummm... if you had a bump removed as against the rules, what makes you think that making a duplicate topic is okay? o_O

I'm going to close this. I know you have an issue, and I know you want to solve it, but you are not more (nor less) important than anyone else on these forums and everyone has a problem they want resolved as soon as possible! I would request that you just be patient and wait until someone replies to your original topic, or you bump it after 48 hours have passed (and try to include more information if you have to bump it).

Status
Not open for further replies.