Help with using data types in character select menus

Hi all,

Im trying to make a character select screen for a space shooter game. The idea is simple, the player will select one ship from a list, and then select 3 weapons to equip to it. I have a ship selection set but need help with the weapons

The ship select is pretty simple, it an array of each ship object. I have "Next" and "previous" buttons that move up or down the array to choose different ships. Once the ship is chosen a global variable is set to keep the choice in memory. THis all works, bit of a kludged mess but otherwise it at least does what I want.

The weapons are a different issue, since what I want is to have 3 different weapon scroll tools. I could just make 3 arrays, but what I need is to be able to "skip" a slot of another selection tool is holding it. As far as I can tell there isnt a good way to store what slot in an array my list viewer is looking at

Should I convert this into Lists? Would that let me skip items more easily? Ive never used any data structures besides an array really and I dont understand the differences of a list vs array vs grid

Is there a different, better way I could get what I want?

eimie

If you want to skip the items in the other two lists, using ds_lists could be the easiest way. But I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to use arrays and grey previously selected items out instead of remove them.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
There is no point in using DS lists these days, when arrays can do everything it can without the manual cleanup.