• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Help with text effects on non-monospaced font

I've been creating my first textbox system for a game. I based my first attempt off of this tutorial: http://michaelvandiest.com/advanced-dialogue-box/ . It worked pretty well, and was easy to add text effects to, like wavy or shaky text. I encountered a problem, though, when trying to use a font that wasn't monospaced. The way the system works is drawing the letters spaced apart by a value, so it makes fonts that aren't monospaced look weird. I made a second attempt, instead using draw_sprite_ext() (drawing it letter-by-letter with a copy of the string it was typing out), which works fine with any font. Now I'm trying to add effects to this system like I did with the other one, but I haven't been able to figure it out.