• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Help with subpixel rendering

K

kingjohnc19

I've seen a ton of threads about this, but none of them seem to work for me. My camera dimensions are 486x243, and my viewport dimensions are 1728x864. Also, I've seen some that have something to do with the hspd and vspd, but because using that sort of script causes glitches with the player sprite, I just use this sort of script:
Code:
if (right_key) {
    phy_position_x += spd;
    sprite_index = playerRight;
    image_speed = .4;
}
I'm a beginner at gamemaker, so if there is actually a way to do this, chances are I won't understand it.

Sub pixels will always look weird. I recommend your draws be
draw_sprite(sprite_index, image_index, floor(x), floor(y));

K

kingjohnc19

Sub pixels will always look weird. I recommend your draws be
draw_sprite(sprite_index, image_index, floor(x), floor(y));
Is that how I'm supposed to draw sprites? I just set the sprite of the player to playerDown and then when they face right, for example, it changes to playerRight by using sprite_index = playerRight. how would I do it the way you said?

So, you're talking about upscaled graphics, with a port larger than the view. If I've misunderstood this, please say so.

You have two basic options here. With linear texture interpolation, this will result in blurry images. Without linear texture interpolation, you are left with nearest neighbor interpolation, which will cause aliasing issues (jaggies) between pixels of different color.

There are other options involving shaders. For example, there is a way to interpolate texture coordinates so that you get nearest neighbor, except without the aliasing problem.