• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Help With Starting Out

L

Lawson

Hi, I'm really new to GameMaker and I just had a quick, simple question. When coding an event, is there any way I can code freely without using the toolbox? The event is just a gray box and the only way to add to it is to drag commands from the toolbox. I would really prefer to just type by myself instead. Thanks in advance!

G

GameMakerPero

In the future, post such questions in the "programming" forum.

If you are in GMS2, right click on your event and change event to code. I believe this is an option when you start a project.

I have never used earlier versions, but seeing older tutorials, there will be a code box on the right hand side that you can drag over to your events list.

Since your question is so basic, I highly suggest putting in some time on youtube, such as starting here for GMS2. He has some older ones too.

chamaeleon

Hi, I'm really new to GameMaker and I just had a quick, simple question. When coding an event, is there any way I can code freely without using the toolbox? The event is just a gray box and the only way to add to it is to drag commands from the toolbox. I would really prefer to just type by myself instead. Thanks in advance!
It would probably help if you specified which version of GameMaker you use. GM:S 1.4 requires you to add a block that is a code block (where you type by yourself as you put it, rather than using drag and drop), whereas GMS 2.0 starts you off with selecting either drag and drop or GML as the basis, and if you select GML every time you add an event you are directly dropped into a code editing window (for typing by yourself once again). If you are in fact using 1.4, you will be adding at least one block for every event you wish to customize, and if you make it a code block you can do all the things within it, without adding any further code blocks (or any other kind of dnd block) for that event.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
In the future, post such questions in the "programming" forum.
This is not a programming question but a query about the IDE, so it belongs to Tech Support. Moving.

As has been mentioned above, only GMS 2 has an all-GML mode. In GMS 1.x, you are stuck with the entire D&D action set. You can, however, speed up things going to Preferences -> Form -> Object form and setting "Default Tab to select" to 4.