• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Help with sprite animations

J

Jmarlin3

This is a player sprite I'm working on for my new game. He's modeled after this character named Ban, from 'The Seven Deadly Sins'. Ban's character is more of a laid back type, and very easy going.What are some things I can work on in order to make the sprite a bit cleaner, and give off the emotions I want to convey?

Attachments

frd

Have you seen these great pixel art tutorials by Pedro Medeiros?
https://lospec.com/pixel-art-tutorials/author/pedro-medeiros

They cover a lot of different techniques which add life and clarity to pixel art images. Particularly tonal block shading and coloured outlines on interior details.

Besides those, I’d say that the character could have a more relaxed body posture, less vertical and a bit jauntier would make it less rigid seeming. Trying to add curves to the body shape could soften it too.

Also you could get more out of the details that suggest character, like the hair for example, it could be less perfect, a bit scruffy to match the characters laidback attitude.

Good work so far, hope some of that helps.

J

Jmarlin3

Have you seen these great pixel art tutorials by Pedro Medeiros?
https://lospec.com/pixel-art-tutorials/author/pedro-medeiros

They cover a lot of different techniques which add life and clarity to pixel art images. Particularly tonal block shading and coloured outlines on interior details.

Besides those, I’d say that the character could have a more relaxed body posture, less vertical and a bit jauntier would make it less rigid seeming. Trying to add curves to the body shape could soften it too.

Also you could get more out of the details that suggest character, like the hair for example, it could be less perfect, a bit scruffy to match the characters laidback attitude.

Good work so far, hope some of that helps.
Thank you! I'm looking at the character idle tutorial right now.