• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D Help with spherical sky map.

I have a sky texture that I put on my sphere around the world, but the top and bottom of the sphere looks pinched, is there any way i can I avoid this?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If the texture has solid color at top-most and bottom-most rows, chances are that it's intended to be stretched over a cylinder rather than a sphere. Texturing a sphere without distortions is a complicated task and is not commonly used for such things (the most common option is "skybox", which is 6 textures for each side of a cube).

If the texture has solid color at top-most and bottom-most rows, chances are that it's intended to be stretched over a cylinder rather than a sphere. Texturing a sphere without distortions is a complicated task and is not commonly used for such things (the most common option is "skybox", which is 6 textures for each side of a cube).
I tried the box texture, but I get strange black boxes everywhere, is there a way I could fix it

Another way I thought of doing it is to just separate the squares into separate textures, and just draw them seperately