• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Help with performance, structuring and updating tile-sheets

D

danieldiggle

Hey guys, I've been putting together a tile-sheet for my game and I'm struggling on finding information around best practice on how to structure it.

My first question is wether its better to use multiple tile variations on a single layer, or take a modular approach with less tiles, making use of alpha and stacking them in multiple layers.

The example on the left below shows using modular/stackable tile elements. This way you can create any variation from just 4 tiles but they would need to be on multiple layers and you might end up drawing 4 stacked tiles instead of one.

On the right is a selection of solid tiles, here I'd need to create a dedicated tile for every possible combination, but your only using one layer and drawing a single tile.

example.jpg

For me building levels, using layers and fewer tiles would be the quickest easiest solution, but I'm not sure if this is a big development / performance no-no?!?!?!

For context, below is an example of my current tile-set and how parts of it might be used in game.

Oh, and lastly. If you create your tile-set and realise you need to add some more variations into it, is there anyway to increase the sprite size without it messing everything else up (such as autotiles already set up) ???

testo.jpg

tileset-test.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Reign

Depends on a few factors like how many alpha tile combinations you plan on having and map size. If you take the multiple layer approach with fewer tiles by stacking them, it would make your game size smaller and take up less space in memory, but having more tiles on other layers could cost you FPS on large maps if you stack enough of them.

Did you mention using sprites for your tileset? I'd recommend using a background, it's much faster(at least in GM:S). Just leave some extra blank space on your tile sheet for more tiles encase you need to add more and use different tile sheet for each map.

Btw, your tileset looks really good.

Last edited:

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
@Reign: GMS2 basically merged sprites and backgrounds into the same resource type so there's no such thing as a background anymore.

@OP: I'd generally recommend composite tiles over individual parts, or try to keep things such that you only have two layers (base and additions), if you have too many small parts it easily becomes a lot of 'boilerplate' work do design levels and it wastes your time and energy... and as a result you're more tempted to take shortcuts to avoid having to do these kinds of thing, so your level design will start to suffer from it. Having multiple layers also makes some things more complicated, like moving tiles around or checking for collisions using tiles.

Reign

@Yal Oh, that makes sense. I haven't had a chance to get GM:S2 yet, unfortunately. Thanks for the info :D

Did think of one other thing to consider with alpha tiles that may be good or bad. If you have decals like a blood splat it could go under the tile with alpha which may be desirable in some situations.