Legacy GM Help with my game 'directly'? (Project Download)

Y

Yoo

HI, so I had some issues that you guys helped me with for this platformer I'm testing... So I thought, instead of just talking and describing the problems, why not upload the project and you guys can see it for yourself.

So basically, the point of this project is for me to learn platformer basics for some other future games and ideas. And... I've made it to work so it can stay within a room, move around, jump on platforms, change sprites...

The code for it all might not be perfect, and it's a bit messy, using different approaches and combining them together... But I like the result for what it is.

The only 'bug' that I am encountering is the Hero object (that name was given for obvious reasons) still seems to vertically collide with walls and platforms in certain instances as pictured bellow:

The same thing was happening with horizontal collisions, but I seem to have fixed that by removing 'x += hspeed;' from the Horizontal collision code. If I do the similar with the Vertical collision code and delete 'y += vsp;', the player won't jump at all...

So, if you guys want to take a look at it, codes and all, that would be awesome. Comment if something can be written better or simpler... But the point is I like it the way it is now. I like how it's moving, jumping, etc. The only thing I want to change, in the end, are the collisions.

Also check the Masking for sprites, if maybe something can be done about them as for the collision issue.

Here is the project download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wqqupf69scddel8/A+Real+Hero.gmz

So, if you guys want to mess with the code yourself and upload it back, feel free to do so. If there is a problem with the file, please do tell, so I can reupload.

The controls are: A & D for movement; Space for jumping; Esc for exit.

Thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Yoo

Link is working now.

Hey, maybe people can also do all the graphics and the story!
No need to be mad, just putting out there... if you want to make your own story and the graphics, not a problem... I don't know what to tell you, I'm a believer in open source. What's the difference between telling about the code without the game or with it?

EDIT: Besides, people are allowed to upload projects if they want... this is a test. I don't know why we can't upload Game Maker Studio projects, if we all here are working with Game Maker Studio. We're only allowed to write about it? But, if people are getting insulted with this kind of stuff, no one is pushing you to download.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sp00nz

I see what you're getting at by having us look at the thing as a whole. But that could get overwhelming as your game develops. Perhaps it'd be best to send us the events you're having problems with, we'd be more than happy to help you with bugs but we're also trying to work on our own games too. Sending us your entire game may be a bit cumbersome for most.

Ooooor what i have found most helpful is YouTube is your friend.

Y

Yoo

I see what you're getting at by having us look at the thing as a whole. But that could get overwhelming as your game develops. Perhaps it'd be best to send us the events you're having problems with, we'd be more than happy to help you with bugs but we're also trying to work on our own games too. Sending us your entire game may be a bit cumbersome for most.

Ooooor what i have found most helpful is YouTube is your friend.
OK, I sincerely apologize, but this is technically not a game... I'ts a joke, a test... It's just one room. I really didn't wanted to overwhelm anyone. I didn't know.

Y

Yoo

I'm just of an opinion to let loose a bit... it ain't all about money and success and copyright, it's about freedom of information and stuff and community... but if people are uptight about it all... Hey, just posted a bit 💩💩💩💩ty free game with one room where you can jump around... Sometimes you get stuck in walls, but it ain't that bad. :rolleyes:

RangerX

I doubt someone is upset. Its just that good practice is to simply post the bogus code on the forum. Its more convenient for people trying to help, more secure, etc.
We will gladly look at your problem but you need to isolate it and post the related code. That's how this forum rolls since always, no upset peeps. :)