1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

GML Help with mouse buttons code

Discussion in 'Programming' started by GalGames, Sep 8, 2018.

1. GalGames

GalGames Guest

Help with mouse buttons code. I'm making a starting scree for my game and I want the player to be able to select with his left mouse button and can go to different rooms (such as options, two players, chaos mode, etc.). How would I do it? What would be the code?
    upload_2018-9-8_18-43-24.png

Thanks a lot :)

2. Relic

Relic Member

If the menu options are individual objects then use the usual room_goto function in a mouse left pressed event.

If the menu options are not objects, just text drawn to the screen then you will need a controlling object to first detect if the mouse button is pressed globally and second if the mouse x and mouse y has coordinates that would mean it is over a menu option.

3. Phil Strahl

Phil Strahl Member

If you want a very simple solution, create sprites with the text and use them as sprites with a collision mask (so essentially making a button). Then you only check if a mouse_check_button_pressed(mb_left) happened, check the mouse coordinates, and then switch rooms accordingly.

Here's a simple example:
    Let's assume you have a sprite that looks like this, spr_button_start
    [​IMG]

and another, spr_button_options
    [​IMG]

We could also implement them as sub-images but I keep things very simple here.

So you make a new object and title it obj_button_start and give it spr_button_start as sprite.
    In the Create event, let's do this:
    Code:
    target_room = room_options // put here the options room

And in the Step event we check if the player clicked it
    Code:
    if (mouse_check_button_released(mb_left))
    {
      var mouse_on_button = collision_point(mouse_x, mouse_y, obj_button_start, false, false)
      if (mouse_on_button)
      {
         room_goto(target_room)
      }
    }

Now duplicate the object, name it obj_button_options, switch the sprite to spr_button_options and the only thing you need to change now is the target_room in the Create event.

Of course, there are a lot of ways to do this, e.g. have a menu controller object that creates the buttons for you, so you don't have to place the button objects in the room. Or have the individual button objects inherit from a parent object, or just have one button object that executes a script, etc.