Legacy GM Help with JRPG characters

S

simlim

I have a game where you battle 5 v 5 against other players. This is the game design:
-players assign from a pool of characters to form a 5-member team
-each of those member's moves are programmed by the player using collected cards
-the members move on there own when their gauge is full
-the party leader (main character) is the only member with active skills (only player input)

Now:
-What is the most efficient way to programmatically manage the stats(location, health, damage, etc) of each member of both teams? Do I make an object for each of them? Or do I use multiple instances of the same obj and store their stats including sprites on arrays?
-Any help on how I can make the game save player progress on the cloud?
-What asset/SDK can you recommend to enable real-time battles?

sorry, im new.

P

popjin

Based on your post, I would recommend starting out on a smaller scale project first, seeing as you don't know where to start is a big red flag for most projects.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but trying a smaller scale project like the great tutorials that gamemaker offers or even pong or snake would most likely be more appropriate for you.

However, if you do decide to continue, try to break down the mechanics into much smaller bits to ask on the GMC or work them out on your own.
Hope this helped!

S

simlim

Based on your post, I would recommend starting out on a smaller scale project first, seeing as you don't know where to start is a big red flag for most projects.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but trying a smaller scale project like the great tutorials that gamemaker offers or even pong or snake would most likely be more appropriate for you.

However, if you do decide to continue, try to break down the mechanics into much smaller bits to ask on the GMC or work them out on your own.
Hope this helped!
you misunderstand, i am NEW to this software but ive been making games for a very long time now. I would highly appreciate it if you can at least answer my 1st question

YanBG

-separate object for each player/npc/enemy(i'm not a pro but when you save or read ini files it's dificult to work with unique sprites or stats for the instances), you can still use arrays in their parent object though, read them from individual script(s) too.
-i use ini files for my pc game, but it's SP and it's probably archaic way, i read about json and some other methods to store the data.
-idk you can code the fights yourself with tutorials but it won't look great.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
-What is the most efficient way to programmatically manage the stats(location, health, damage, etc) of each member of both teams? Do I make an object for each of them? Or do I use multiple instances of the same obj and store their stats including sprites on arrays?
-Any help on how I can make the game save player progress on the cloud?
-What asset/SDK can you recommend to enable real-time battles?
I'd definitely recommend either ds_grids or 2D arrays... GM's instance handling is only meant for game objects, they lack methods for instance and are hard to carry over between game rooms, and take a bit of processing power each step just by being around even if they don't do anything.
There's a HTTP event to post data, so you can basically send requests to a server to store data if their API allows it. (Check out the manual section More About Async Events) There's native support for Steam Cloud as well.
I don't know about any good RPG battle engines I can recommend, especially not 'real-time' ones, but this system doesn't sound too complicated to code (have a counter variable for each unit that counts down depending on unit speed, select a random attack and a random target when it hits zero, spawn animations as needed, pause all other units' counters until the animations resolve). You could use unique objects for each animation that all inherits from a parent_animation and then just check that there's none of those before proceeding with the game loop as normally.