• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Help with how xview and yviews work now

B

Booze

I like the old system where I could just use "view_xview" for my rain code. (I changed to game maker 2 but my rain code somehow didn't get saved, so I have to write it again). I would like to know how I can make the rain particles start at the top of my view instead of in the room itself. Here is the emitter:

part_emitter_region(partRain_sys,partRain_emit,__view_get( e__VW.XView, 1 )-400,__view_get( e__VW.WView, 1 ),__view_get( e__VW.YView, 1 )-100,__view_get( e__VW.YView, 1 )-100,ps_shape_line,ps_distr_linear);

I don't get how the view code works now, so if someone can make this create the particles at the top of the view, that would be great. Thanks.

B

Booze

And I also forgot to mention, the particles depth isn't working. I tried using that script thing with all those depths with no luck. I also tried depth = -y, but that didn't work either. I have randomly generated levels, and the rain only shows where there aren't tiles.

rIKmAN

This should help you get to grips with GMS2 cameras if you are familiar with the old GMS1 way of doing things.

R

Rukiri

GMS2 actuall uses "real" camera's now, not as robust as say Unitiy's that I'm aware of, but lots of COOL things you can do with it, you can give a tilemap perspective think old school 3d granted they were done as an effective not real 3d but faux 3d still was cool so gms2 will render smoother tiles but still looks cool. Or you can zoom out and have sprites similar to chrono trigger in the overworld setting :)

a few topics down explains the camera, the above video explains it decently well :)