GameMaker Help with holding keys

S

Sahibjot Cheema

I want to hold x to hold out you shield but if you press shift then it will switch weapon to sword.

The problem is that holding x and pressing shift at the same time glitches the shield. The sprite is stuck on holding the shield but u have the effects of not holding it out. It fixes it self if u let go of x and press shift again.

I think the problem is that the code for x keeps running until its let go but i want it to update when u press shift.

kActionHold = keyboard_check(ord("X"))

if (weapon == SHIELD) {
if (kActionHold) {
if (!action) {
// Shield Wall Action
if ((cRight || cLeft) && !onGround) {
sprite_index = PlayerActionWallSlide_Shield;
action = true;
// Dash Shield Action
}else if (state == DASH) {
sprite_index = PlayerDashAction_Shield;
alarm[1] = 12;
action = true;
// Shield Block
} else {
sprite_index = PlayerAction_Shield;
action = true;
}
}
} else action = false;
}

if (kChange) {
if (weapon = SWORD) weapon = SHIELD;
else if (weapon = SHIELD) weapon = SWORD;
}

B

Bayesian

I would look into using a state machine for this functionality. If you want to keep the code you have add a flag for the shield up state. Set the flag to false when shift is pressed and have x key down reset the flag to true

TheouAegis

Whay's your SWORD state code? Sounds like the issue is just that you don'treset action and the sprite when you switch weapons.

S

Sahibjot Cheema

I would look into using a state machine for this functionality. If you want to keep the code you have add a flag for the shield up state. Set the flag to false when shift is pressed and have x key down reset the flag to true
I had tried this before already, using var instead of keys and changing that var when shift is pressed but it didn't work. But I tried it again and after rearranging the code a bit and adding a bit more stuff fixed it. Now it works perfectly. Thx :D

S

Sahibjot Cheema

Whay's your SWORD state code? Sounds like the issue is just that you don'treset action and the sprite when you switch weapons.
Yes exactly. That was 1 part of the problem. After fixing and changing the order of the code everything works.