1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Flipping Sprite

Discussion in 'Programming' started by BruhTheStatement, May 20, 2019.

1. BruhTheStatement

BruhTheStatement Member

Hi! I'm trying to make a game (using a Youtube tutorial) and the code he used to flip his Sprite was
    if (hsp != 0) image_xscale = sign(hsp); (HSP Stands for Horizontal Speed) but when I use it my sprite flips but it Makes my Character thin and squished. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. zATARA_0

zATARA_0 Member

sign should only be able to return -1 or 1. It sounds like somehow you are setting your x scale to a decimel value.

3. samspade

samspade Member

sign returns -1, 0, or 1 depending upon whether the number you give it is negative, 0, or positive (respectively). Since you prevent the number from being 0 (by saying if (hsp != 0) the only values it can return are 1 or -1. My guess is that you've scaled your sprite to a different value somewhere - for example you've stretched it to a different size in the room editor or you have written code, perhaps in the create event, that says image_xscale = 3. Your image_xscale = sign(hsp) line then overwrites that.

4. BruhTheStatement

BruhTheStatement Member

Thank you Samspade. that was my problem then. I stretched my sprite in the Room Editor.

5. BruhTheStatement

BruhTheStatement Member

Also, Quick Question. What is the Recommended size for a Sprite So I can make a proper Platformer?

6. samspade

samspade Member

There's no right answer to that question. It depends on the resolution of everything else and what you're going for.