• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Help With Advanced Fireworks System

Mr Giff

Hey all,

For all of you who have played RCT3 back in the day, you probably remember the impressive fireworks simulations you could create with it and the terrific modding community that made it so much better.

I am looking to create a 2D version of that where you can program your own firework shows to music and even export them to CSV spreadsheets that you can load onto an actual firing system (Ironically enough that would be the easy part for me).

The hard part is GM's particle system. Upon investigating how I would create realistic simulations, I found I couldn't do it with the particle system as it is. I am unable to achieve air resistance properties, single particle rotation, particle life randomness, more than three colours, control over gradient stop points, wind, etc. It's quite limiting, though, to its credit, it was never designed for any kind of realism.

Except for the Box2D physics engine which I am not too familiar with. I figured if I could define two fixtures: a shell object and particle object that would be emitted, then I could use physics simulation to achieve my desired result.

But I feel that after more than 10, 100, or even 1000 particle are generated that is going to be too much to handle.

So, I need help. What do you guys think would be a good solution to creating somewhat realistic 2D fireworks without resorting to an external library?

I'd love to hear your ideas, maybe the result we could even make into an asset people could use!

Mr Giff

Hmmm. That would certainly create realistic smoke and plumes of fire as well as wind resistance. However when it comes to the fireworks particles themselves I'm not sure if that would take care of that.

Neptune

Id probably just use objects. You could probably have a few thousand instances (firework particles) on screen and still be smooth sailing.

Mr Giff

Hmmm. I'll give it a try at least! Besides what I stated above what do you think would be the best approach?