• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Help with a Sega Super Scaling type game 'Floor' .?

M

McWolke

i found this a while ago, maybe it's of some help :)

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/

EDIT: i didn't play it but racers also use a kind of pseudo 3D.. so.. well.
EDIT2: i just saw that there is even a screenshot of the game :D i guess this really should help you

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerX

I hope I will understand that article someday. I'd like to make some Outrun clone in the futur. Right now its SO over my head :(

C

ConsolCWBY

The basics, as I remember in the old days, is to use your own "baked" code to scale in the z-depth direction. The most basic is the point and click style where a character reaches a certain y position and jumps in scale in increments. The pseudo-3d method, iirc, needs a function which allows objects near the center, but not directly on the center, will actually move on the x vector, towards the sides. This can and should be done with trig. You can think of it as a handmade projection from an overhead 2d map. With that said, the road is actually made up of segments. Each segment must align properly and be scaled properly for the illusion to work. But since I haven't actually tried any of this in 28+ years, I can't say how EXACTLY it is done. But, these are the rules of thumb.

[EDIT: @McWolke 's link is IT! this is sooo much better than my poor explaination! Use the link!]
[EDIT2: @RangerX : I think you'd get it if you thought about those 2.5D games made over the last few years with GM:S! Only instead of switching projection modes, this tells you how to make your own projection using your own z vector. It's difficult to implement, but gives great results when used properly! The maths make sense if you forget about modern 3D programming tho! :D ]

Last edited by a moderator:

m0zzy

Thanks for all our replys!

@RangerX Yeah, Thats the problem .. It is so over my head .. :)

Do u think its better using stretched sprites (draw_sprite_pos) or Rectangles (draw_rectangle) .?

I could REALLY do with someone doing a quick .gml file so at least i could work out whats happening .! o_O

Cheers!