• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Visual Help Needed: How can i initiate a dialogue on room start?

S

SkullworkGames

Hello!

On room start i wish to initiate a dialogue by the hero, with movement and attack controls being disabled during this sequence. How would i go about doing this in GMS2?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

jobjorgos

Seems like alot of new people came since studio2 came out! :p

Your question is really depending on 'how' you programmed your movement/attack functions. Can you show your script or didnot you use GML for these functions?

in GML you could put everthing that enables your hero to move/attack between { and }, and then with the variable 'HeroCanMove' you can make the condition of this variable requires to be 'true' in order to run the script between the { and }.

But I dont know if you are using GML first of all, and if u know how variables are used.

S

SkullworkGames

Seems like alot of new people came since studio2 came out! :p

Your question is really depending on 'how' you programmed your movement/attack functions. Can you show your script or didnot you use GML for these functions?

in GML you could put everthing that enables your hero to move/attack between { and }, and then with the variable 'HeroCanMove' you can make the condition of this variable requires to be 'true' in order to run the script between the { and }.

But I dont know if you are using GML first of all, and if u know how variables are used.
Thanks for the reply!

Attacking is still a work in progress, but for movement I'm using GMS2's drag and drop feature with a simple 'key down' event and 'Jump to Point' function for my player object. I suppose i could duplicate the player object, removing the movement events and adding a dialogue event of sorts. Once ended i could 'Change Instance' to the other player object with full controls?

Last edited by a moderator:

jobjorgos

yeah thats a creative option.

but it would be more effeciently to just keep 1 object and work with a variable.
Honestly I dont know how to do it in drag and drop in studio 2 yet, I use it today for the first time.
Might anybody else in the forum can help you on that.
good luck!