Help Needed Coding Enemies

Discussion in 'Programming' started by NovaOzuka, Jun 7, 2018.

1. NovaOzuka

NovaOzuka Member

I wonder how many topics I need to make before I can make a demo of my first platformer. Anyway, I now need help coding two different enemies, and hopefully I can figure the rest out on my own. The first is a Goomba type enemy, and the other is an enemy that can't be hurt by simply jumping on it, but by the side instead. From there I should be able to code the rest of the enemy types I can come up with.

Obviously, they need to be able to move on their own, but they don't have to follow the player.

2. Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0 Member

What is a goomba type enemy ? Is this a platformer ? The second enemy sounds like you just need to use player position relative to enemy code with key input.

3. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

In the collision event for your player with the goomba enemy, check if bbox_bottom-vspeed < other.bbox_top. Replace vspeed with whatever you use for vertical speed. If that expression is true, bounce up and deal damage to the enemy. If it's false, deal damage to the player and apply knockback/immunity.

4. NovaOzuka

NovaOzuka Member

I can't seem to figure out how to get knockback working. Or how to code the enemy object deletion.

I mean, since the player isn't already set to collide with the enemy like it was a moving wall, it would be easy to get hsp right, because even if I got the hsp wrong, it would in theory constantly apply itself until the player completely passes through the enemy.

5. samspade

samspade Member

What does you're current knockback code look like?

6. NovaOzuka

NovaOzuka Member

if (other.x > x - 16)
    {
    hsp = -4
    }
    else if (other.x > x + 16)
    {
    hsp = 4
    }

7. samspade

samspade Member

Where is this located? I'll assume this is in the enemy instance somewhere? If so, then the next question is, how is your enemy hsp set? If you're setting enemy hsp every step, you'll just over write this.

8. NovaOzuka

NovaOzuka Member

Well I was trying to get knockback applied to the player, so the enemy's hsp shouldn't really matter, which is controlled by a simple state machine, and even if it does, I could always set it up so that the enemy turns away from the player upon bumping into the player.

9. NovaOzuka

NovaOzuka Member

So I'm still having trouble with this. Specifically the knockback part.
    From obj_enemy's collision event, we have
    Code:
    if (other.y+16<y and obj_player.vsp>0)
    {other.vsp = -7
    instance_destroy()}
    else
    {obj_HUD.currenthealth =-1
    if (obj_player.hsp < 0)
    {obj_player.knockback = 3}
    if (obj_player.hsp = 0)
    {if (state = "right")
    {obj_player.knockback = 3}}
    if (obj_player.hsp > 0)
    {obj_player.knockback = -3}
    if (obj_player.hsp = 0)
    {if (state = "left")
    {obj_player.knockback = -3}}}
    And from obj_player's Step Event we have
    Code:
    //Knockback
    if (knockback > 0)
    {knockback = knockback - 1
    hsp = 3}
    if (knockback < 0)
    {knockback = knockback + 1
    hsp = -3}
    Now the bounce up and destroy enemy part is working. The knockback? Not so much. Even if it were working incorrectly, it should be at least be pushing the player into the enemy rather than away from it, but it's not doing anything at all, regardless of if the player is moving or not. If the player wasn't moving, then the enemy should be able to push the player away, but not even that is working.

10. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

You are probably resetting hsp in the code for each state.

11. NovaOzuka

NovaOzuka Member

The thing of it is the code from the player object is from the end of the Step Event code, so it should be resetting to (-)3 for 3 steps. I did use virtually the same piece of code for wall jumping, and that piece of code is still working.

12. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

And you verified the knockback variable is getting set and counting to 0?

And where do you increment x by hsp?

It should be

State code that sets hsp
    Knockback read code that sets hsp
    Collision code that might set hsp to 0
    Increase x by hsp.