• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Help mostly about Spine but other stuff too

W

Wonamik

Hi everyone.

I been working on the same game for many years now and its been very frustrating and its always something.

I just wanna find out now if there are real solutions to my problems or if I should just throw the game in the trash and accept that I wasted close to 3 years of my life on it.

1. I got a big boss with many animations in Spine, to import it takes almost 1 and a half minute.
I know one solution is removing all meshes and all, but then there goes all work, and its just rubbish left.
And I am so bored and sick of making something nice only to then start tearing it down. So is there any way here? Has GMS2 made any improvments? I cant be the only one making big animations with meshes, right?

2. Is there any way to make a Spine animation BLINK red or white when taking a hit for example THAT DONT shine through its own layers? Basically just make the whole thing solid red or white for the fraction of a sec.

3. I have A LOT of graphics in the game and I have not started using Texture Pages yet, so just starting the game takes a LOOONG time. will using texture pages solve this problem. Or I can ask the question like this: Could I have more or less unlimited amounts of graphics in the game as long as I only load the Texture Pages needed when needed, or will it still take as long to just start the game?

Thanks Best Regards Tommy N

W

Wonamik

Might add that the game is 60fps and 1080, it runs smooth. its the loading to start it and load in the spine animations that is the killer. Can this be solved, or not?

rIKmAN

1. I got a big boss with many animations in Spine, to import it takes almost 1 and a half minute.
I know one solution is removing all meshes and all, but then there goes all work, and its just rubbish left.
And I am so bored and sick of making something nice only to then start tearing it down. So is there any way here? Has GMS2 made any improvments? I cant be the only one making big animations with meshes, right?

2. Is there any way to make a Spine animation BLINK red or white when taking a hit for example THAT DONT shine through its own layers? Basically just make the whole thing solid red or white for the fraction of a sec.

3. I have A LOT of graphics in the game and I have not started using Texture Pages yet, so just starting the game takes a LOOONG time. will using texture pages solve this problem. Or I can ask the question like this: Could I have more or less unlimited amounts of graphics in the game as long as I only load the Texture Pages needed when needed, or will it still take as long to just start the game?
1) If you are using EA 1.99.525 then it supports Spine 3.4.02, which according to this post supports meshes.

2) Have you tried using draw_set_colour(c_red) or does that not do what you want?
Set a flag for a "hit" state, and before you draw the skeleton check the flag and if hit, draw it red, and reset the flag. This would be so quick that whether it was solid red or tinted red wouldn't really matter as all you would see is the flash of red, not any details of things showing through.

Alternatively I'm sure this could be done with a shader.

3) Not sure as I have not played with texture pages regarding Spine sprites yet.

W

Wonamik

Hi first of tanks for trying to help.

1. Yes it supports Meshes, BUT when making a big sprite with many animations and alot of BENDING done with Meshes it takes up to 1 and a half minute to load that sprite alone. which is waaaay to long. So here is were I wonder what can be done. Except stripping the animation of all eyecandy.

2. I tryed that and it looks bad, I would happily pay someone to help me get a shader to do this.

3. The spine animations I just load and unload so they are not concerned with the Texture pages so its only the ordinary images its concerned. And the problem is that GMS loads ALL animations and BGs when starting the game which makes it take soooo long to start the game. So if I start using Texture Pages, will this improve then? Its the loading when starting the game that is the problem.

rIKmAN

Hi first of tanks for trying to help.

1. Yes it supports Meshes, BUT when making a big sprite with many animations and alot of BENDING done with Meshes it takes up to 1 and a half minute to load that sprite alone. which is waaaay to long. So here is were I wonder what can be done. Except stripping the animation of all eyecandy.

2. I tryed that and it looks bad, I would happily pay someone to help me get a shader to do this.

3. The spine animations I just load and unload so they are not concerned with the Texture pages so its only the ordinary images its concerned. And the problem is that GMS loads ALL animations and BGs when starting the game which makes it take soooo long to start the game. So if I start using Texture Pages, will this improve then? Its the loading when starting the game that is the problem.
1) 1m 30s to load a sprite? Do you mean on game start or during runtime between etc?
Either way that sounds really excessive!
How big are the sprites, how many animations does it have etc?
Are you 100% sure it's that specific sprite loading causing the delay and not some code loop or something similar?
Have you tried loading that sprite in a project on it's own and seeing how long it takes?
Have you used the profiler?

2) Have you tried using d3d_set_fog?
You wouldn't need to pay someone to write that, it's a pretty simple shader. If you don't know too much about shaders you could find one using Google which you could get working in 10-15mins.

3) As I said I'm not sure on this as I haven't (yet) had to manually manage texture pages.
Maybe someone who has done this will see your post and be able to answer this better than I could.

W

Wonamik

1. Yes it is that, and I found out its the Meshes thats killing it. And this boss has a lot of stuff that bends. I load him externally, but either way it takes the same amount of time.

2. Thanks I will look into it, I am not good with Shaders but managed to get a few to work :)

3. But do you know any way possible that make the game not loading everything when starting the game?
That is the biggest issue.

Last edited by a moderator: