Help me slow time with object overlap

S

Sp4m

Hello! This is pretty rudimentary, but I'm very new to game maker, so I appreciate any little help I can get.

I'm creating a top-down shooter, and I'm trying to create a 'time bubble' that will have the following effect on any sprite that's contacting it...
slow down movement speed by a %
slow down animation speed by a %

This should let me do some pretty cool things, but I'm not sure how to pull it off.
All the objects in my game are physics objects so far, but I'd like this to affect non-physics sprites as well (like smoke trails)

If I can avoid creating a dozen 'collision' events, that would be *great*

S

Sp4m

I've been reading about physics objects, and I'm worried that my plan won't work.
It sounds like physics objects have a wholly different set of properties, and I'm not able to directly manipulate object.speed for them.
Is that true?

S

Sp4m

Following up on this, I may be able to augment the speed of physics objects by referencing phy_speed_x and phy_speed_y.

Description:

phy_speed
This read-only variable returns the speed as a value in pixels-per-second of the physics enabled instance. Should you need to change this value, you must do so by changing the x and y vectors using the variables phy_speed_x and phy_speed_y.

hxxps://docs[.]yoyogames[.]com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/physics/physics%20variables/phy_speed.html

S

Sp4m

Manipulating phy_speed did not deliver the desired effects. As objects slowed down, friction had a greater impact on their travel than while in motion. This shattered the illusion that 'time' was slowing down, and just made it looks like I had a bunch of molasses bubbles on the battlefield.

I expect it to fail spectacularly, but I'm going to look into using "phy_position_(x,y)" to force physics objects to travel slower than their properties indicate.

This is specifically recommended against, so I look forward to seeing what happens. :^)