Legacy GM Help me program my First Person RPG?

L

LuckyDucky12

Hello! I'm new to these forums and program, but I've been using programs like Unity, Godot and Unreal for a while now. However, those were mostly for FPSs or other relatively easy things like that.

However, I recently tried GM:S 1.4 and I'm quickly falling in love with the software. Thanks to a quick tutorial, I set up a First Person Dungeon Crawler view in the program, but I wanted to take the project a bit further and create a simple little Turn Based RPG.

By simple, I mean that you can attack, the enemy can attack you and that's about it. No magic or even fleeing the battle right now.

I can't really find any documentation for First Person RPGs, and as such I'm stuck. Right now, I need to learn how to:

1.) Set up a trigger to start a battle when stepped on.

2.) Display an image of that enemy in the center of the screen (No fancy transitions)

3.) A simple turn order that I can expand on later. You attack the enemy and the enemy attacks you until one of you die.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or give me some examples of code where I can learn? I can show you all my code if it helps.

Slyddar

I love Gamemaker, but if you want to make a first person game and you are starting out, you have chosen the wrong engine. Gamemakers strength lies in 2D games, and being able to produce results in a short time.

If you want to continue, maybe learn how to do what you want in a 2D game, then you can just convert it to the 3D environment.

Well he already said he'd set up the first person dungeon crawler view, my assumption is he just wants to take that and inplement a simple turn based battle system, which I don't see any issue in creating, since that kind of thing would work the same in 2D and 3D. The difference is just how you display it here.
I think the principles are the same here but you just need to look for 2D tutorials on how to make the systems, then use what you learnt from the first person dungeon crawler tutorial and apply it to the display.

I love Gamemaker, but if you want to make a first person game and you are starting out, you have chosen the wrong engine. Gamemakers strength lies in 2D games, and being able to produce results in a short time.

If you want to continue, maybe learn how to do what you want in a 2D game, then you can just convert it to the 3D environment.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of first-person RPGs that are 2D: Phantasy Star, Shin Megami Tensei, Shining in the Darkness, Arcana. Even the grandfathers of all RPGs were First-Person: Wizardry, Ultima, The Bard's Tale, D&D Gold Box games, and Might and Magic. Either way, you're vastly overstating the amount of 3D knowledge you'd need for this kind of game.

There was an RPG video tutorial just posted here. From the first few minutes I've seen, it's pretty good. You might want to try that. https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/rpg-starter-kit-tutorial-series.63089/

Rob

Thanks for the plug, haha. The 4th episode deals with the battle system and you should be able to use it in your dungeon crawler no problem.

L

LuckyDucky12

Nah, its only in a first person view, but It'll mainly use 2D sprites and images. I actually have the 3D environment done if you want to take a look.

Slyddar

Nah, its only in a first person view, but It'll mainly use 2D sprites and images.
Ah I misunderstood your intention. I was imagining you were wanting to make a first person shooter style game, but as an RPG, Fallout 3/4 style.

Also as a new user you are using GM 1.4... not even sure how a new user would get hold of that, but good luck with it.

L

LuckyDucky12

Ah I misunderstood your intention. I was imagining you were wanting to make a first person shooter style game, but as an RPG, Fallout 3/4 style.

Also as a new user you are using GM 1.4... not even sure how a new user would get hold of that, but good luck with it.
I think I previously had a license to GM 1.4. When I was signing up for 2, I was told that my email previously had an account.

I VAGUELY remember following some of RM2KDev's video's in the past, so maybe that's what put me on this software.

L

LuckyDucky12

Thanks for the plug, haha. The 4th episode deals with the battle system and you should be able to use it in your dungeon crawler no problem.

Thanks! I really wish youtube would have led me to your videos, I searched for game maker RPG vids but only found some from RM2KDEV.

I shouldn't have a problem with following this tutorial while using GMS 1.4, right?

Rob

Thanks! I really wish youtube would have led me to your videos, I searched for game maker RPG vids but only found some from RM2KDEV.

I shouldn't have a problem with following this tutorial while using GMS 1.4, right?
Most of the functions are the same. It's mainly things like the camera functions and instance_create_ functions that are different. If you get stuck, leave a comment on the vid and I'll reply to that so that others can benefit from it too.