Design Help me judge something

Simon Gust

Hello people,
This is going to be very embarrassing but I'm going straight to the point.

I have an idle-animation for one of the playable characters in my game, that shows them peeing on the ground, dropping an AoE that damages enemies.

I just need a non-corrupted mind to judge this for me.
Is this too fetishy?

Don't worry, it's not nsfw (or is it? I don't know), it's really low-res pixel art.

I have been developing my risk of rain game some time now. And I lost hope that anyone would play basically a fan game, now that risk of rain 2 is in 3D.
So I have been transforming the game into my own little creation.
And I have brought characters into my game I had developed before the game idea even existed.
The fangame had similar characters before but I want them to be fully my characters and my story, not the risk of rain one.

My character has some questionable abilities for the sake of gameplay mechanics like spitting poision, exploding, backflipping. But to give a little more depth I have added idle animations.
In cannon, this character is incontinent and the first thought that came to me "let's making him wet himself".

Before you ask: yes, I have that fetish, and this is not the place to talk about it. But I really don't know where else to ask.
I have been around similar people (to me) and I didn't bother to ask there because I already know the answer.
Here, I trust people, because you're all rational thinkers to me.

I don't want my game to be labeled as a furry-fetish game just because of one animation (and maybe some dialogue later).
Nothing against games like tribal hunter or changed, I'm sure they're good games on their own. But it does put a question in my head, what the intent was behind their development.

woods

does the animation fit the character/story/plot?
In cannon, this character is incontinent and the first thought that came to me "let's making him wet himself".
this makes sense to me...

an idle mechanic and a handful of references that are "not the mainstream acceptable as normal", shouldn't cause something to be "labeled" as anything ... it should take alot more than that to make this happen.
key word here is should ;o)

any game out there that has a play on words or referencing pop culture, or some obscure popular one-off or something that somebody thought was funny, etc..
take a basic asteroids game... swap the ship out for a butt and make farting noise whenever the player shoots.. now you have "ass-roids"

whether the game is in poor taste or not is up to the one judging it. and we all know we can please em all..

i can appreciate off color humour.. but there is a line that screams "this is too much" ...and that line is different for everybody.
haters be damned.. its YOUR game. make it how you want to ;o)

TLDR:
short answer is no i dont think its too fetishy.

Simon Gust

does the animation fit the character/story/plot?
no, not really. All the idle animations are supposed to be some kind of comical detail a player may discover. But now that you've asked, I got some ideas.
Maybe doing an idle animation could reveal a secret in the level, or if I was cruel, the correct way to proceed the game.

an idle mechanic and a handful of references that are "not the mainstream acceptable as normal", shouldn't cause something to be "labeled" as anything ... it should take alot more than that to make this happen.
key word here is should ;o)
Of course, but you know how mainstream media is. The more popular something becomes the more it is being picked at, especially at smaller and smaller things.

any game out there that has a play on words or referencing pop culture, or some obscure popular one-off or something that somebody thought was funny, etc..
take a basic asteroids game... swap the ship out for a butt and make farting noise whenever the player shoots.. now you have "ass-roids"
This surely works for a game made by the Behemoth devs. But I'm not trying to make something entirely random and exaggerated humor. I'm actually serious.

whether the game is in poor taste or not is up to the one judging it. and we all know we can please em all..

i can appreciate off color humour.. but there is a line that screams "this is too much" ...and that line is different for everybody.
haters be damned.. its YOUR game. make it how you want to ;o)

TLDR:
short answer is no i dont think its too fetishy.
It is weird to say this, but I also want every hater to like my game.
Thank you very much for your input and your honesty.

Toque

If it’s a small piece in a big puzzle then it’s not really an issue to me.

if it’s the main characters main weapon it’s borderline. So context. It’s not offensive to me but it’s not attractive to me.

i would not buy a game to watch things urinate. But if I have a game that has a small component of that. No problem

Simon Gust

If it’s a small piece in a big puzzle then it’s not really an issue to me.

if it’s the main characters main weapon it’s borderline. So context. It’s not offensive to me but it’s not attractive to me.

i would not buy a game to watch things urinate. But if I have a game that has a small component of that. No problem
It's not the main weapon. It's also not meant to be attractive. It is there to somewhat represent the 'hero' of the story as a total loser.
The rest of his abilites also show that mentality.
The secondry attack, a poison spit, leaves the player vulnerable on the floor if he is not airborne at the end of the animation.

The special attack shows the character using a psyonic attack which they cannot control fully. If the player does not dodge his attack with the backflip (dodge ability), he will take damage.

But it's not a detriment 100% of the time, the spit can leave them below crossfire. The psysplosion can get them to proc an ability that requires getting hurt and the idle animation can also damage enemies or uncover secrets.

Thank you for your input, I needed that.

pixeltroid

The player character in the game "Boogerman" (1994) used farts to attack enemies and fly around. It was kind of gross but it also fit the silly cartoonish nature of the game that I feel was marketed towards middle and high schoolers.

It's your game so you can design it any way you want. But you also need to ask yourself if you think your intended target audience would enjoy playing as a character that pees itself?

Simon Gust

The player character in the game "Boogerman" (1994) used farts to attack enemies and fly around. It was kind of gross but it also fit the silly cartoonish nature of the game that I feel was marketed towards middle and high schoolers.

It's your game so you can design it any way you want. But you also need to ask yourself if you think your intended target audience would enjoy playing as a character that pees itself?
My intended target audience are (hopefully) streamer, speedrunner and indie gamer. I don't think age matters anymore today, there are 12 year olds playing call of duty and 30 year olds playing animal crossing.
Well, I don't want to make an "adult" game, that's sure.
anyway, thank you for your input.

Simon Gust

I have been working on a problem when standing on an edge, the puddle would form mid-air.
But now I have electricity instead

edit:
I have an idea. I could add an animation for standing too close to an edge.

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I know of at least 2 other games which features urination (Conker's Bad Fur Day and a forgotten SNES/genesis "humor" game called... JJ & Jeff, iirc?) so there's some precedent. You're probably fine. (And that's without counting stuff like The Sims which feature it as part of life simulation)

Simon Gust

I know of at least 2 other games which features urination (Conker's Bad Fur Day and a forgotten SNES/genesis "humor" game called... JJ & Jeff, iirc?) so there's some precedent. You're probably fine. (And that's without counting stuff like The Sims which feature it as part of life simulation)
I looked them up and understand what you mean. Those games are very, let's say controversial or feature comical themes throughout.
Sims is actually a more serious game than the other two. Pretty sure no one in these games is actually incontinent.

You could suggest to make just an animation that plays because it's that character the player selected.
But that's kind of the opposite of what I want. I don't want the hero to be a chad, like duke nukem for example. I want them to be a total loser.
When have you ever seen a video game hero be a loser in this kind of way? I find it actually more controversial than the other examples.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
When have you ever seen a video game hero be a loser in this kind of way?
How about the protagonist from Cruelty Squad? Hates his job and only does it because it's the only thing he's good at, thinks about how he wasted his youth, can't even come up with rebuttals when people drop oneliners at him...

(I don't think the game features urination though, unless you count the upgrade that makes you double jump by expelling bodily waste through your feet)