• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows HELP! I opened my code on a mac and it broke my game!

S

Samuel O'Connell

Hi all!
Okay, so I've had a major booboo.
I'm making a game for my college course and I took my work home. I plugged my thumb drive into my mac and loaded up Game Maker Studio 2. All of a sudden it spits out errors about finding files and permissions. (I forgot to take screenshots, so sorry) anyway, I give up on that because it won't let me do anything. Once I get back to college and open the project, i have a problem. All of my sprites are in place in room0:

upload_2020-1-20_10-18-35.png

But when I compile the game, this happens:

upload_2020-1-20_10-19-25.png

There is no compile errors or anything! I am lost. I can provide information at request but I am kinda close to crying in a corner since this is my first game and I've worked so hard.

S

Samuel O'Connell

UPDATE:
I got this error message while editing a sprite called "Foxtest" to troubleshoot:

Attachments

S

Samuel O'Connell

UPDATE:
Never mind, I got it working. Reloading all the assets and restarting game maker got it working. That really scared me, sorry if I wasted anyone's time :(

rIKmAN

UPDATE:
Never mind, I got it working. Reloading all the assets and restarting game maker got it working. That really scared me, sorry if I wasted anyone's time :(
Just for future reference - never work directly from a thumb drive, and never have a thumb drive as the only backup of your project files!

S

Samuel O'Connell

Just for future reference - never work directly from a thumb drive, and never have a thumb drive as the only backup of your project files!
I usually don't. I usually have a backup on a network drive, one on my college hard drive, and a backup on cloud storage, but this was the one time I have ever gotten lazy, and of course something went wrong. Just goes to show that you should never get lazy when it comes to project critical files.