• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Help! I can't import Spine Files - "Invalid JSON File"

D

deanbrenden93

When I create a sprite from image and double click the .json file, I get error "Invalid JSON File". That's all the compiler will tell me, so I don't know what's wrong or what to fix!

I've attached a screenshot of the error popup.

• My .png, atlas and json files are all in the same folder with nothing else in the folder.

Please help! Thank you :)

Attachments

rIKmAN

When I create a sprite from image and double click the .json file, I get error "Invalid JSON File". That's all the compiler will tell me, so I don't know what's wrong or what to fix!

I've attached a screenshot of the error popup.

• My .png, atlas and json files are all in the same folder with nothing else in the folder.

Please help! Thank you :)
I just replied to your PM.

The person who made your animations has either used the latest version of Spine or has used features that aren't supported in the GMS version of the runtime (such as the "shear" key).

Supported versions are listed here: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/227860547-GMS2-Required-SDKs

You should use Spine v3.4.02 to be safe, 3.5.x should work and 3.6.x and later can cause issues such as this one as the format of the exported json has probably changed and so GMS can't read it gives an error like this one.

A newer Spine project won't open in an older version of Spine, but you might be able to export the data and import it back into a project using an older version of Spine to save some time. I also remember seeing a json rollback tool on the Spine forums which might be worth looking into.

If the animations aren't too complex it's probably easier to just redo them in a suitable version.

There will be an eventual Spine update for GMS2 as per the roadmap, but as always there is no date for when that may be.

D

deanbrenden93

I'll go ahead and close this (if I can) and reply via the conversation :)