Android [Help] How can I remove unnecessary permissions from Google Play Services Extension?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by inoptatus, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:28 PM.

1. inoptatus

inoptatus Member

Hi guys,

I'm trying to implement Google Play Services in my Android Game to use leaderboards.

It is working, but when I try to sign-in in Google Play Services, a window appears that requests access to Google Play activities (which is fine) and also access to personal data like full name, gender and profile picture (which I don't want as it is not necessary for using leaderboards).

So what I want is a window from Google Play Services that appears and only asks for access to Google Play activities and nothing else.

I tried to modify GooglePlayServicesExtension.java from the Play Services Extension. I found the following code in it:

Code:
    // Initialise sign in client
    GoogleSignInOptions.Builder optionsBuilder = new GoogleSignInOptions.Builder(GoogleSignInOptions.DEFAULT_SIGN_IN);
    I changed DEFAULT_SIGN_IN to DEFAULT_GAMES_SIGN_IN , which is the recommended sign-in option according to the Google Play games services documentation "Sign-in in Android Games".

Now when I compile the game it starts and Google only asks for access to Google Play activities, but when I agree, the game crashes immediately, although the login works and when I start the game again I'm logged in successfully.

Maybe somebody has an idea how to fix this problem that the game doesn't crash - that would be great! :)

Also it would be interesting to know why the extension uses DEFAULT_SIGN_IN instead of DEFAULT_GAMES_SIGN_IN.

I'm using GMS 2.2.3.436 and the Google Play Services Extension 3.1.6.

Regards!

EDIT: I've added a screenshot. It's in German, but I hope it clarifies what I mean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:36 PM